cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer files are being backed up to Dropbox even though it's disabled. Any help?

My computer files are being backed up to Dropbox even though it's disabled. Any help?

New member | Level 2

We were sent a link to view a folder in someone elses dropbox.  I used an old gmail account.  It said I needed to install something and hey ho - its taken all my files from my computer and uploaded them to dropbox.

I went to manage backup and unticked the folders saying don't backup - it asked me where to leave the files and I said leave the file son the computer and remove from dropbox.  I hasn't done this ... all my files have been uploaded again to dropbox.  If I move a folder back to my computer - it uploads it again.  I am going around in circles.  I am worried about the access I have to someone elses folder as I don't want to lost that either.  I am very unhappy with this.  Of course I don't have any space either to sync.  Why is it still doing it when I said don't.  I just want to get back to life without this at all.

2 Replies 2

Re: I am seriously frustrated with Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hi @jmulvey, I hope you're having a good day so far!

Can you double check to see if the backup is still disabled in the app preferences?

Also, when you mentioned moving a folder back, can you clarify exactly what steps you took and where you tried to move the files?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: My computer files are being backed up to Dropbox even though it's disabled. Any help?

Explorer | Level 4

Sounds very similar. See my post "How can I restore my missing files after uninstalling the desktop app?" for more details

I believe Walter is kindly working on this, but no resolution yet.

ParisPete

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?