cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: files & folders

My computer is running out of space once it's synced files

brad1136
Helpful | Level 5

I need some help! I'm trying to move the entire contents of my Documents folder (178,224 files & 33,729 folders) into my Dropbox account so that I can accesngs them from any computer. I've been having to upload some folders individually due to there size. I get random error messages that some filenames are too long so I end up having to skip them. I've read about the "sync" settings but following those instructions doesn't help. My work computer has Dropbox & now I've maxxed out my available space because it's "counting" all of the Dropbox files/folders! I'm at my wit's end & don't even have the luxory of pulling my hair out as it's already gone!!! Somebody, anybody, please throw me a  lifeline!!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello @brad1136, don't fret, we'll see what we can do on this together!

It sounds like you're referring to your computer's hard drive running out of space. 

In that case, you can use selective sync and, if you are on a paid subscription, Smart Sync, to relief some local storage. 

Give them a try whenever you have the chance and let me know if they do the trick. 

In the meantime, if you want to send me screenshots of any error messages that you get, I'm more than happy to look into them with you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hello @brad1136, don't fret, we'll see what we can do on this together!

It sounds like you're referring to your computer's hard drive running out of space. 

In that case, you can use selective sync and, if you are on a paid subscription, Smart Sync, to relief some local storage. 

Give them a try whenever you have the chance and let me know if they do the trick. 

In the meantime, if you want to send me screenshots of any error messages that you get, I'm more than happy to look into them with you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

brad1136
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Lusil - much appreciated. The selective sync appears to have worked on my new laptop. Not sure yet about my old & work laptops. I do have a paid personal account with 2TB of storage. I had come across the SmartSync option yesterday but now I cannot find it, even following some directions!!! I'll let you know if the selective sync does its job on my other 2 laptops.

Can I add an additional issue here or do I need to start a new thread? In setting up this new laptop and have successfully set up my email in Outlook. I copied over the *.pst file & everything seems to be "there" EXCEPT my contacts & calendar appts!!! Help??

Lusil
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that selective sync did the trick. 

And no worries, @brad1136! I'm more than happy to help you out from this thread!

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, did you just import the .pst file onto your Dropbox account or are you trying to transfer it to your Outlook app?

Also, have you enabled the Dropbox integration for Microsoft Outlook by any chance?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

brad1136
Helpful | Level 5

No to all of your questions. My main email account is a POP and I added it once opening Outlook. All of my current & saved email were instantly available. Later I discovered my contacts & calendar data were missing. I've searched & read so many (non) helpful articles that when attempting to follow their instructions ended up at the proverbial brick wall ("Do A, B, C then D" - I do C but no D!!!). Getting super frustrated...

Walter
Dropboxer

If the issue is regarding Outlook, your best bet would be to reach out to Microsoft for further assistance on this @brad1136.

Keep us posted on your progress, anyhow!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

brad1136
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Walter - will do.

brad1136
Helpful | Level 5

Lusil - selective sync worked on my new & work laptops but didn't work on my old one. Maybe that's why it's old...

Daphne
Dropboxer

Could you let me know exactly wasn't working for selective sync on the old computer, @brad1136?

If you're getting an error or not able to see a specific option, please feel free to send along a screenshot of this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

brad1136
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Daphne - I made the selection to NOT display any of the folders/files in the seective sync option but nothing has ever changed on the laptop. All folders/files are still visible.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Need more support?