cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer's Downloads, Documents and Desktop folders are being deleted and I get an error

Highlighted

My computer's Downloads, Documents and Desktop folders are being deleted and I get an error

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Team,

I had large amount of data in my system. It looks like it was linked with dropbox. I am getting upgrade popup from past few days as well. Today, I deleted one folder 'My files in dropbox' and suddenly it deleted all my system files. (Desktop, documents, downloads),

All the desktop, downloads folders and documents are deleted and when I am trying to access them it is showing like below:

"Files has been moved or deleted" and nothing is opening(eg videos, files, docs etc)

Attaching few screenshots for your reference below:

Capture3.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture1.JPG

Note : Folder which got deleted and possibly taking all the system files looks like below:

Capture4.JPG

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Systeem folders deleted automatically

Dropboxer

Hey @Dheeraj1998, thanks for reaching out to us here!

The "My files in Dropbox" should just be a shortcut to the files within the backup folder within Dropbox.

Can you let me know if you can see the files within the Desktop/Downloads/Documents folders within the Dropbox folder locally on your computer?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Daphne 

1. I am sharing with you the screenshot of my desktop folder on my computer. But it is totally empty.

2. My download folder is also empty. (Note: Whatever the data is coming in download folder is yesterday's data only.')

3. But I have my files in the document folder.

Can you please help me with this out how can I recover my data. It's very urgent..

Capture7.JPG

Capture8.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Dheeraj1998.

As a first step, can you please check your computer's recycling bin and see if the missing files are located there?

If not, you can also check if the files can be restored through Dropbox with these steps. Please bear in mind that any files that couldn't be synced to Dropbox won't have been uploaded and wouldn't then be able to be restored from there.

Having said that, let me know what you find with the above suggestions.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Daphne 

Thanks for your response.
We have tried all the options stated above.
No files are being stored in any part of my system nor in deleted file option in dropbox as we have explored everything on Google related to recovery.
I have seen people stating the same probelms and there are 1000 of tickets opened for same. It's really sad the we don't have any standard solution for this problems which involve crucial data of people.
Please mention any solution or option to get the data back like upgrading to PLUS account with confirmation from dropbox team that it will recover my super important data back.
Hoping for a positive response exists from dropbox
Thankyou very much .

Highlighted

Dropboxer

In this case, I can suggest looking into this further with our Support team to see if there's anything we can do to assist with recovering those files @Dheeraj1998.

To put you in contact with our restoration team, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here. When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my message.

Thanks!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?