cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My desktop app is stuck at syncing even after the hardlinks and permissions fix. Any ideas?

My desktop app is stuck at syncing even after the hardlinks and permissions fix. Any ideas?

arthuritis
New member | Level 2

For the last several days Dropbox is saying it is "downloading 18 files."  From other posts I figured out how to reset permissions and hardlinks but this has not solved the problem.  If I could find the files that are causing the problem I would think that would help me fix it. How do I find them?  I have looked but can't find any files or folders that show a "circling" icon that's been described elsewhere.

3 Replies 3

Re: syncing

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello there @arthuritis - welcome to the Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

Can you please clarify if the app is stuck at syncing this exact same number of files or if it's changing at all?

What's the app's status as shown in your system tray/menu bar

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

arthuritis
New member | Level 2

Walter, thank you.  When I hovered over the dropbox icon on the status bar it consistently read, for three days running, "Downloading 18 files ..." with no further text visible. Since the number didn't change,  I resolved to try one more time to track down the files.

The Dropbox icons are so tiny I couldn't make out the one with the two curved arrows which (I think) indicates a file or folder is actively syncing, but by process of elimination I finally located the offending 18 files.  They were seemingly innocent .jpg files that showed album art for some music files I had (legally) downloaded.  Why simple .jpg files would do this is beyond me, but in any case I was able to simply delete them, and all is well now. 

Dropbox has worked perfectly for me for quite a few years and I've only run into problems in the last month or so since I was running out of space on my hard drive and needed to try making some folders online only. As a result I suspect I may be back asking for help again.

Nice to know you folks are out there and that you treat questioners with respect.  A few years ago I was having trouble with a different piece of software and wrote a question to the associated forum; the person who replied gave me a solution but went on to berate me for not having prevented the problem months before.  When I thanked the person for the solution but not the gratuitous criticism, the reply came back that I needed a change of attitude.

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for your quick follow up and I'm glad to hear you're back up and running now @arthuritis

If you'd like to find more information about the syncing icons, please have a look here.

On a side note, you can also take a glance at this post for more information about the Smart Sync and selective sync features. I think you'll find it pretty insightful!

Have a lovely weekend ahead and see you around the Community!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    arthuritis New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?