cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My desktop app shows "up to date" but some of my folders are still empty. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

i rolled my mouse over the Dropbox icon, as suggested. It said, "Up to date," but did not say how many files had been downloaded or how many were left to sync. I know that there are several, because I have many empty folders in Dropbox that should have files in them.

How do I get this information

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Syncing

Super User II
Super User II

Yes. If they are on OneDrive you need to redownload them to the computer to upload to Dropbox. 

Note: it is NOT a good idea having Dropbox and OneDrive syncing the same directories at the same time - use one or the other. If, for example, OneDrive removes the files locally Dropbox will see that as a deletion and delete them. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

If it says up to date it has no more to sync. 

Do you have any sync issues? Click on your little icon at the top (image / initials), scroll down to 'view sync issues'. Does that show anything?

- - -

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

No sync issues reported.

I'm trying to sync 13 years' pictures  On my computer the folders I'm trying to sync has 161 GB, 42,180 files in 225 folders. Dropbox reports 48 GB, 10,987 files and 207 folders. In checking the folders, several are empty when they should have pictures in them. Both were checked using File Explorer.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Do they appear at www.dropbox.com ?

I assume you made sure you gave them time to all upload from your other machine first?

- - -

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, the upload has been running for over a week. There's no "gas guage" or "odometer" to give one a feel for how the upload is going. And, the "up to date" statement seems to indicate that the upload is completed. Is this not the case?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

"Up to date" means its downloaded everything it can from the cloud. But, if things have not yet finished uploading it wont have downloaded them, yet, as it wont know the exist. Once they upload from the other machine they'll download to this one.

- - -

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

So, what you're saying is that if the files have been migrated to the cloud by OneDrive, Dropbox cannot upload them because they are not on the computer? How do I nudge things so the files are uploaded to Dropbox? This is important since my wife and I need to access the pictures: this is why I went to Dropbox, instead of having copies of all those files on our computers, not to mention our phones, which would not have that capacity to hold this many. Dropbox looked ike the ideal medium to share the files among multiple devices for us.

Thanks for your help and advice, Mark.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Yes. If they are on OneDrive you need to redownload them to the computer to upload to Dropbox. 

Note: it is NOT a good idea having Dropbox and OneDrive syncing the same directories at the same time - use one or the other. If, for example, OneDrive removes the files locally Dropbox will see that as a deletion and delete them. 

- - -

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Good idea, Mark. I'll take care of that.

Again, thanks.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?