cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dropbox won't sync files if my IPhone screen is locked

My dropbox won't sync files if my IPhone screen is locked

dbwontsync
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there,

I spend most of the day taking pictues with my IPhone and sending this photos to my drop box account, so I can access this photos from my computer for editing and posting on social media.

However, If my IPhone screen looks (is set to lock after 1 minute of inactivity), dropbox stop uploading the pictues. Or, if I send the files and change to another the app, it also stop synching. 

So I have to keep unlocking my phone all the time and can't change app in order to get all the photos uploaded to my desktop folder.

Is there a option i can change and dropbox on my phone will keep synching even if the screen is locked or keep synching in background?

It's really annoying and seem like a easy thing to fix.

Thanks 😉

17 Replies 17

lyukaskez
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter, 

I'm Peter from Hungary, and have the same issue like Helmut.

Iphone 11 pro, everything switched on, and today I spent my whole day with dropbox app be always on screen, otherwise nothing uploaded.

If you figureised out what was the problem with Helmut, could you please also share it with me? 

This problem was live with my Iphone 6S also...

Thanks in advance!

Peter

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Peter; sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

If you've made sure that Background Uploading is turned on but camera uploads still stops, changing locations should restart the upload.

If this doesn't improve the app's behavior, please let me know if you'd like me to reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to work on this together with account and device specific info.

Thanks so much @lyukaskez!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

timothyjonking
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue. All setting are as directed. Photo not uploading unless I keep the app up and the phone awake. Please post a solutiuon so everyone can fix their iPhones. 

Helmutsg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hey all, it seems to me, that the fix has been found.
By turning off the iphone option to delete images from your phone that have been uploaded to icloud solved it.
The issue was, that dropbox needed to request Icloud to download those again and etc.

Once I turned it off (and I have enough space on my phone) it works smooth in the background and actually uploaded pictures 1,5 years old as well - seems those never upload as they were deep in the cloud from apple.
I will continue to monitor this but it seems like all is cool now 🙂

StuartGarrett
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Can Dropbox support please issue instructions on how to implement this fix?

I have also had this problem for 12 months and the standard Dropbox instructions do not fix the issue.

GabrielRoe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have tried to follw the steps described in the approved solution. But it doesn't work in iOS13.6 Any ideas? All help appreciated.

lyukaskez
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hello Walter,

I still have issues with sync, especially photos upload. As I find out, it is not working if the phone is in battery saving mode. If the battery saving switches on when the battery is under 20 %, and I start charging it, the battery saving mode is still on till it reaches 80%. So, despite I changing position, and the battery is at 75%, it still doesn't upload anything. I'm not sure if it is the problem but it seems to be. But I don't know how to solve it, because if I arrived at home and realized that it is not uploading and switching OFF the battery saving mode and it is in normal, 75%, still not start upload.

Jlaverde
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, can I know what wa stew solution given, I’m also struggling to upload a few photos from my mobile manually, I request to have open the app, I cannot use my mobile to any other thing not allow to lock because it stop uploading, you can public the solution to all users or write to [email address removed as per the Community's Guidelines]. One more reason aside Dropbox eliminated the option to see photos on presentation mode that is make me thinking to migrate to a better service solution.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jlaverde Explorer | Level 4
    lyukaskez New member | Level 2
    GabrielRoe New member | Level 2
    StuartGarrett New member | Level 2
    Helmutsg Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?