cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File didn't save

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jane, thank you for the reply. I am on a laptop managed by a university, so I assume that Office is up to date. It tells me I am using Version 1808.
I saved the file inside the Dropbox folder on the computer, as normal - the file had been created a couple of days before the problem. Yesterday I re-wrote the stuff that had been lost, and it seems to have saved/synced ok.

I don't know if this is a problem with my particular laptop or a problem with Dropbox. Since I haven't had any other similar problems it is hard to tell!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for looping back to me to let me know of the progress on your end (@JuliaAus)! Now, as I’d like to cross-check the info I have on my end & have a second look at the actions recorded on our tools, I’ve gathered all the details you’ve included on this discussion & I’ve reached out to you through our Official Support channel. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email if you’d like to work on that with me & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again Julia! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've had the same issue happen to me!
Except in my case, it's a month's worth of work that disappeared after a power outage shut down my computer. I had been saving regularly my Excel file, and had autosave enabled, and no obvious synching issues. Is there a way to recover this? Dropbox won't show me any old versions either.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @SpicyRice, while it would be worth checking whether any of the advice listed on my first post is useful to you in any way, it looks like you’ve excluded that pertaining to an underlying syncing issue preventing your input from being registered as expected. 

Following-up from your description, do you recall whether other files were saving properly within the same timeframe perchance? Also, can you by any chance remember if your sync icons were displaying right /

Checking back on your cache folder may help you retrieve the missing edits from there, however if you can’t find what you’re looking for within cached items either, then I’d have to be the bearer of bad news for you, as your edits are most likely lost and not recoverable (i.e. within Dropbox).

I hope that this is helpful to some extent & please let me know how you get on with these initial checks on your next message here. Thanks!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same problem for me, a whole day of work I cannot find.... 

@JuliaAus wrote:

Hi - I have just been experiencing exactly the same problems, except with a Microsoft Word document. Was working on it until 6pm yesterday, continually saving along the way. Connected to the internet the entire time; Dropbox seemed like it was syncing correctly (and indeed, it synced other files I saved during that time to the same folder). This morning I open the document only to find it was the version saved at 1pm, thus losing 5 hours of work. Version control on the Dropbox website shows no record of any later saved files. Also no record of it on my local computer.

Very frustrating! I am using a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10, and have never had this problem before.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that @Gloriat

Have you by any chance checked on the file’s Version History for some more context on what happened along the way? 

Can you include two side-by-side screen shots (omitting personal info) for me in your next message showing me what’s your current sync status & the sync icon on the file with the missing edits?

Once I have this info, I‘ll do my best to further advise. Thanks! 

Jane

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, I had the same problem when using an Excel spreadsheet. I was constantly updating and saving the spreadsheet over a 2 week period, updated and restarted my computer and all of my work was lost. However, I opened up Excel, looked through previous files and it was saved in the documents attached to Excel, not dropbox. I'm unsure what happened so I now keep 2 copies just in case this happens again. Hopefully you guys have had a similar and fixable problem - just thought I'd give a heads up. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have also had this problem! I've just spent hours adding sheets to 3 separate excel documents, and saving all along the way very carefully. Dropbox has had a green tick on the syncing the whole time. I closed it when I was done and went back to open one to reference it, and every additional sheet to the first original sheet IS GONE!!!

There are no temp files, no files in the cache, no previous versions. Where are my sheets?! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @fee_dme, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

From what I understand, you were editing the files locally on your computer, is that right?

If so, could you clarify for me the following:

• Did you open the file directly from Microsoft Excel, the Dropbox desktop app, or your File Explorer?
  • What does the version history of the file show online? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is unreal - I see people having the same problem from two years ago and it's still occuring. I just lost 4 hours of work myself. Apparently the file hasn't been saved since yesterday morning, despite me saving and it properly syncing all day. Our organization will be moving to a new file storing application

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?