cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My files are syncing to Dropbox, but aren't anywhere else on my computer

My files are syncing to Dropbox, but aren't anywhere else on my computer

AmIBLU
Explorer | Level 3

It's the craziest thing...I've been using Dropbox for years. Noticed that a Scrivener file I saved on my desktop last week had a September last saved date when I opened it on my laptop. Then I couldn't find a file I saved just yesterday on my laptop on my desktop...when I opened Dropbox I saw the file had been synced, but it's just not showing up in the file where it belongs, or anywhere else on my desktop. I can't figure out why. Most people have problems syncing, but my files are syncing; they just aren't showing on my alternate computer. ???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: My files are syncing to Dropbox, but aren't anywhere else on my computer

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @AmIBLU, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

It sounds like one of the devices might not be syncing correctly. 

As a first thing, can you make sure the app is running on both the desktop and laptop devices? 

What's the syncing status, and version you see there? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @AmIBLU, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

It sounds like one of the devices might not be syncing correctly. 

As a first thing, can you make sure the app is running on both the desktop and laptop devices? 

What's the syncing status, and version you see there? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

AmIBLU
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, Lori!

My taskbar icons seem to have disappeared. I think that was my problem. When I added them to the taskbars of both machines, the files updated, and there was my file! Thank you so much!

Lori
Dropboxer
That's great to hear, @AmIBLU

Don't hesitate to get back to us if anything comes up.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

GaryT1
Explorer | Level 3
Ok, I clicked on the taskbar icon. At the bottom of the opened display it said "Your files are up to date". I then dropped a file into Dropbox using File Explorer. It was copied to Dropbox file folder and to Dropbox.com. I think the problem is that the folders on Dropbox.com are not syncing to File Explorer on my laptop. How can I get these folders to copy (sync) to File Explorer? Thanks for your help. I can't find answer on Dropbox Support page and I can't get human support because I am using the basic version. I never had these problems with Dropbox on my old computer. Gary T.

GaryT1
Explorer | Level 3

Ok, I clicked on the taskbar icon. At the bottom of the opened display it said "Your files are up to date". I then dropped a file into Dropbox using File Explorer. It was copied to Dropbox file folder and to Dropbox.com. I think the problem is that the folders on Dropbox.com are not syncing to File Explorer on my laptop. How can I get these folders to copy (sync) to File Explorer? Thanks for your help. I can't find answer on Dropbox Support page and I can't get human support because I am using the basic version. I never had these problems with Dropbox on my old computer. Gary T.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GaryT1 Explorer | Level 3
    Lori Dropboxer
    AmIBLU Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?