cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My files got encrypted by ScryptoLocker

My files got encrypted by ScryptoLocker

shema s.
New member | Level 1

Halo! Yesterday all my files on my PC got encrypted by the CryptoLocker malware which I didn't know until yesterday and I got shocked that both files that I received through Dropbox and the files I had backed up on my dropbox account got encrypted too! I was just wondering if there is a way one could recover those files....I'd highly appreciate any help or support to help me recover my files!

10 Replies 10

Lana P.1
Dropboxer

Hi Shema,

I hope you are well.

I advise you to contact our dedicated team here: www.dropbox.com/support. They will try to help you to roll back your account before this event.

Have a lovely day!

shema s.
New member | Level 1

Hallo Maxine,

I just checked the link you shared but it seems most the offered possibilities are to recover deleted files which is not my case as all my files were encrypted by the cryptolocker malware on exactly Wednesday the 16th of September 2015. I therefore was wondering if I can recover the totality of my files dated before then or precisely getting back the actual status of my account of the 15th just one day before the encryption occurred!

If possible I'd highly appreciate if we can further communicate via e-mail in case that's of no inconvenience to you 😉 

Looking forward to hear from you!

shema s.
New member | Level 1

Sorry Maxine I made a mistake, the malware attack occurred on Tuesday, the 15th September to mean if my account is to be restored, it should restored back to its status of the the 14th September 2015.

P.S my e-mail is (deleted by a Dropboxer)

Lana P.1
Dropboxer

Hi Shema,

Thanks for your answer.

Of course you can ask for some help to roll back you account on Dropbox Support. You just have to follow the right path (Dropbox Basic > account > file restoration > Undo a large number of changes to files and folders > Revert my Dropbox back to a date and time)

I'm not able to help you neither on the forum nor via email.

Have a lovely day 🙂

Lana P.1
Dropboxer

Hi Shema,

For security reasons, I have deleted the email address you included in your message. 

Have a lovely day!

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

To put this into a bit of context for you, it's important to understand that crypto malware both encrypts and renames files, in other words your files were essentially deleted and replaced by new ones. As has been advised, you need to reach out to Dropbox support at the link provided in order that they can help roll back your account to a point prior to the encryption event.

See: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/400#rollback

Note: Unless you are a Business or Pro customer with extended version history, you have thirty days to restore your files.

Edit: Ah! Sorry Maxine, hadn't realised you'd already replied. Note to self, must learn to hit refresh a bit more before chipping in... 🙂

shema s.
New member | Level 1

Hey Maxine,

Thanks for your support, I just sent the request and hopefully I'll get back all my files.

Cheers 🙂

Lana P.1
Dropboxer

You are more than welcome Shema!

Enjoy your day!

Nguyen N.3
New member | Level 1

Dear Shema,

I got a problem like yours. Please share me how I can revert my Dropbox to prior date.

What is next step after I get link as in picture bellow.

Many thanks!></p>

Need more support?