cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost Files

My files have disappeared from my Dropbox folder?

ricmil65
New member | Level 2

Hi all, panicking a bit here because I seem to have lost several months of files!!??

I noticed yesterday that my dropbox online did not contain all of the files that I could see in the finder on my Mac. All of the files in the finder were up to date, but if I logged onto dropbox through a browser they were missing all recent files.

I tried to re-sync my computer this morning and instead of solving the problem it made things worse. Instead of syncing all of the files I could see in the finder with my dropbox "online" the opposite happened. Now all I can see in the finder are the same files that were online. All the missing files I was trying to sync have dissapeared?? One in particular a pdf file (that I know existed because I emailed it to someone this morning) is nowhere to be found. Please help, in some cases i have active folders that now seem to indicate that the last time I saved something was April 2017!!

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey ricmil65

Welcome aboard, let's follow some steps together!

As a first step, to help you dermine whether these files were initially synced online, please use the search option on your account to check if any of these files were uploaded. 
Screenshot 2017-05-31 at 11.05.01 PM.png
Do your files show up there? 

Secondly, I'd like to ask you to have a look at your account's Events page, where you have an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders.

Adds, edits, and deletes that happened at roughly the same time are grouped together and these events are sorted by time, starting with the most recent changes at the top of the page. Were the files added there? 

Please have a look at the options above and keep me updated here on the results! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dbeato
Super User

Do  you have also backups on your Mac like from Time Machine or other source?

Photo's on dropbox

lilbat
New member | Level 2

My old pc blew up I had dropbox on it and all my pics. I've opened dropbox on the new pc and the pics aren't there. They are still on my phone so I know I haven't lost them. what have I done wrong?

Re: Photo's on dropbox

Mark
Super User II
Hey

Two things - have you given them time to download to the new machine? Mouse over the Dropbox icon to see what it is up to.

Secondly - have you logged on to the right account on the computer? Its quite common to set up a second one by mistake. To check on the computer go to www.dropbox.com/events - does that show things being uploaded/downloaded etc.?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Photo's on dropbox

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @lilbat

Sorry to get back to you in delay, let's look into some things together to locate your missing files!

I've moved your post here, in order to have a look at the advice other users have given above and let me know whether the files were initially uploaded online? 

Luckily, if your files weren't updated, you still have them on your phone, so you can get them on your account at any time following these steps. For future reference though, you'll have to remember to check the Dropbox application on your system tray :white_check_mark: often for recent updates or any connectivity issues. 

Hope this info is helpful to you and you have a great week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?