cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My house burnt down, I have no laptop and no backup. I do not see any file in dropbo. What can I do?

My house burnt down, I have no laptop and no backup. I do not see any file in dropbo. What can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

My house burnt down, I have no laptop and no backup.

I bought a new laptop, restarted DropBox and do not see any files to download/synchronise.
It shows an empty account.

What can I do?

I have 2 accounts, but also do not know my history.
How can I browse history in DropBox for the 2 mentioned account.

7 Replies 7

Re: My house burnt down, I have no laptop and no backup. I do not see any file in dropbo. What ca...

Dropboxer

Hi @soppe1957; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about your house. 

It seems like you created (or logged into) a new account. Can you try logging into the other account via an incognito window using that account's email address?

If you need to reset its password, visit the following page: 

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/forgot

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Why does DropBox not help me, but keeps sending me around in circles???

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Walter

This is what I sent you by email at  : support@dropbox.com
after chatting for over 30 minutes with "Alejandro"

-------------------------

Dear Support team

My house burnt down and my laptop, external back unit, and other IT stuff is all gone.

4 years of photos, work and private files all gone.

During the last months I have been trying to get my life back in order, and have a new laptop.

I have a Basic Dropbox account with user name [email address]

To my utter amazement all my files in DropBox are also gone as apparently they are gone after 30 days if you have  Basic DropBox subscription.

I have contacted the Dropbox Community, but nobody can help me.

I am a computer programmer and need a DropBox technician who can check if my files are still somewhere in your DropBox Cloud as I am sad and stressed, and would really like my files back.
I relied on your Cloud service. If there is a fee attached to it, pls let me know.

I hope to hear from you shortly.

Thank you for your attention

Kind regards

This was your reply:

------------------------------------------

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Ticket #11337634: House burnt down laptop + external backup unit gone + empty DropBox, please help

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Dropbox support. Replies to this email are routed to an unmonitored inbox and will not be answered by our support team.

Your technical support options depend on what kind of account you have. To see the support options for your account, log in and go to https:confused face:/dropbox.com/support.

In the meantime, why not check out our help centre at https:confused face:/help.dropbox.com/learn/faqs for FAQs, how-to articles and more or why not reach out to our Dropbox community https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com where you can get answers and discover new ways to use Dropbox.

The Dropbox Support team

Are you having issues logging into your account? Try our sign in FAQs
Have a payments or billing question? Try our payments FAQs
Think you want to cancel or have a cancelation question? Try our cancelations FAQs
Security or privacy question? Try our security FAQs

[R5G37Q-6PMW]

--------------------------------

I am flabberghasted that nobody want to help me. 
I am really stressed and all DropBox does is send me is around in circles for over a week now

Why? is life ONLY about money????

Re: My house burnt down, I have no laptop and no backup. I do not see any file in dropbo. What ca...

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @soppe1957.

It seems that this was an automated reply that you received, but I wasn't able to see a chat associated with this. Do you perhaps have another ticket number for the chat that you had with my colleague?

After a chat with the Support team, you should receive a transcript and a follow up email with the ticket number. This is just so that I can check on this from my side.

Would you mind if I reached out to the email linked with your profile here, so that I can create a new ticket with all the info you've provided already and go from there?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Daphne

I had a long chat with a person called ' Alejandro' or similar name. He gave me the support email address: support@dropbox.com . He started the chat when I was checking the different DropBox products. 
Because I do not have a paid account (yet), the email I had sent to support@dropbox.com came with an autoresponse that I could not be helped as I am not a paying customer. So we keep going round in circles. No chat, no email, no phone service available.

A technican from DropBox, a database analyst/programmer, should check if there are any of my data left in the DropBox cloud. 

I am a database analyst/programmer myself. My username name  is [email removed as per Community Guidelines] (like my email address)  If there are (old) data stored I  can pay a fee to have them restored. I was about to upgrade my account as my Dropbox space was too small. 

I sincerely wish you can help me as 4 years of my photos and files are lost otherwise, and that is very painful.

Thank you
Kind regards

Soppe

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @soppe1957.

It seems that you may have chatted with a member of the Sales team there.

Can you let me know if you tried signing in with the other account that you mentioned?

If you're not sure which email address you may have used for the Dropbox account, then our Support team wouldn't be able to assist much with this as we can't locate the account without this info.

Also, for the account you're currently signed into, can you let me know if you see any activity reported in the events page? This will show the last 6 months of actions in the account.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Daphne 

Thank  you for your answer.

I have tried your options but it is not working. If I sign in I see no files at all.

The community is great helping me to find a solution, but I need a technician (database programmer) from the company Dropbox, who is willing to check on the dropbox file server  if any of my files are still there. It is a very simple action to do. I can pay a fee if that is required. 

How can I access the dropbox technical service (phone number or email address) or what needs to be done for them to call or email me? My email is [personal information removed as per the Community's Guidelines]

Thank you
Kind regards
Josee

Dropboxer

Thanks for checking on that @soppe1957.

So that we can have a look into this further, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?