cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My laptop and iPad do not sync.

Explorer | Level 4

I am basic user, and I use Windows laptop and iPad for it. I can put files into dropbox and they open in the same device. However, the two do not synchronize. What should I do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox icon disappearing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Zoe! So sorry to hear you are not getting the Dropbox icon where you had it. 

Thanks for sharing this experience. Update the application, downloading and running this version here

Then reboot your device. Let me know if this helped. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: My laptop and iPad do not sync.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Zoe22, thanks for creating a thread in our Community! 

Happy to help you with this. In my experience there are two things that could be happening. 

1. The two devices are linked to different emails/Dropbox accounts. All you need to do is check account settings on both and make sure you are loged in with the same email. Each Dropbox account is associated with a unique email for verification purposes. 
  2. One of the devices is not syncing or is not done syncing yet.

In this case, it would be useful for me to know if you see the Dropbox icon on your Windows device (menu bar, next to the clock). If you do, let's check if it's syncing. Hover your mouse over it to see the status. 

Finally, a question for you: Which device are you adding your files from? The ipad or your laptop? 

Thanks for the additional info! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for answering. 

The two are logged in the same account. However, I noticed that my laptop is the one that is not syncing. It does not have the icon on the bottom. How can I sync it? 

For the last question, I tried to upload files from both devices, and both did not work.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Let's see. First download the app from here to your desktop: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-83-4-152/td-p/371716

If it is installed already it is going to auto-update so no worries. If you don't have the Dropbox icon after doing that, let me know. 

Now to check if the mobile device is uploading , you can upload a file from Dropbox.com and see if you see it in your Dropbox mobile app. The mobile app is a preview of the website so you should see it immediately. 

If you are getting any errors, get me a screenshot please. 

Let me know how this goes!

Fiona

Highlighted

Dropbox icon disappearing

Explorer | Level 4

The dropbox icon keeps disappearing at the bottom. Last time when I asked dropbox told me to upgrade it, so I did. However, when I turn the computer off and on, it disappears. Then even when I log into the dropbox, it does not appear. I asked my computer protecting company, but they said they never had the problem. How should I solve this?

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox icon disappearing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Zoe! So sorry to hear you are not getting the Dropbox icon where you had it. 

Thanks for sharing this experience. Update the application, downloading and running this version here

Then reboot your device. Let me know if this helped. 

Fiona

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?