cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My old pictures are missing!

My old pictures are missing!

EllieLew
Explorer | Level 3

I have not logged in awhile but I just did and realize I have lost 5  years worth of pictures.  I have received emails that my dropbox is almost full but I've ignored that because I haven't uploaded anything new to dropbox.   Do I have to upgrade to retreive my old stuff back?  Does it get automatically deleted at some point?   There is no way I deleted the files myself.

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EllieLew, I'm sorry to hear about that!

Around how long was it since you last signed into your account?

Also, are these the only files missing from your account, or are you missing all files from your account?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

EllieLew
Explorer | Level 3

It had probably been over a year since I had logged in.   There are some pictures in there but only 6 months from 2014.   Is there any way to recover the older ones?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @EllieLew, you can check your deleted files page to see if you can recover any deleted files, assuming they were deleted within the last 30 days.

Do you see any deletion events related to the missing images?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EllieLew
Explorer | Level 3

There was nothing in deleted files and I could not see where to find any deletion events.   I know that I did not delete the pictures.  I was wondering if they got purged by Dropbox or something.  I stopped using DropBox to upload my pictures when I switched to an Iphone in Oct 2014.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If the files aren't visible on the events page, then it means that any changes were made over 6 months ago, meaning the files could have been deleted a while ago, if this is the same account you have been using since 2014. Due to this, it wouldn't be possible to recover any files from Dropbox. 

Since you've stopped using Dropbox in October 2014 to upload photos, are the photos prior to that period missing, or the ones after?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

EllieLew
Explorer | Level 3

Yes it's most of the photos prior to that date, I only have a few months left saved now.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you didn't use Dropbox since October 2014, then you wouldn't have any backups on Dropbox since that date.

Since you switched to an iPhone, is it possible that they could be located on iCloud?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    EllieLew Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?