cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My personal files were corrupted by ransomware

Highlighted

My personal files were corrupted by ransomware

New member | Level 2

My company recently had a ransomware attack.  I had my personal Dropbox folder linked (is that the right word?) as a folder on my computer so it showed up just like a network folder.  So the ransomware corrupted all my personal files on Dropbox as well, which seemed strange.  Of course my company doesn't back up my Dropbox, so they restored their server data and I'm left to see if Dropbox can recover.  I have Basic account and I went in to do Previous Version recovery, but it doesn't appear to be working...not sure if I'm doing something wrong.  I go in and select prior version of the file and restore it but the restored file isn't showing up.

I'm happy to upgrade to Professional or whatever if it means I can use the rewind function and recover everything...but I also hesitate doing that in case upgrading to a new version somehow affects what I can recover...

Help?  I'm not a techie person at all.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: My personal files were corrupted by ransomware

Dropboxer

Hi there @marplin, thanks for reaching out to us. 

In general,  upgrading to one of our paid plans gives you the capability to use Dropbox Rewind.

You can find more info about this feature in this article, and you can find additional details about what you can do if your files were corrupted by ransomware, here

If you have any trouble along the way, you can check out your support options for your current plan on this page. 

Nonetheless, if you have any trouble along the way, just give me a nudge and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

I got hit by the hese ransomware. What can I do to restore my files?

New member | Level 2

All my files saved on Dropbox seem to have an extension .hese  attached below. When trying to open any of the files and documents saved on Dropbox I can't as all files seem to be sort of corrupted. Any way how can I recover these files and is this a sort of a virus which can damage other documents saved on my laptop?Capture 1.PNG

Highlighted

Big Brother Is Watching You Encrypted Files

New member | Level 2

Hi There. I have received a hack from bigbrotheriswatchingyou and all of my files are now encrypted. They are looking for a ransom to unencrypt the files. Can someone please help me?

Thanks

Highlighted

Re: Big Brother Is Watching You Encrypted Files

Super User II

@Adamski147 wrote:

I have received a hack from bigbrotheriswatchingyou and all of my files are now encrypted. They are looking for a ransom to unencrypt the files. Can someone please help me?

You've picked up some malware, a type of virus known as ransomware, on one of your computers. Refer to the following help article:

Highlighted

Re: Big Brother Is Watching You Encrypted Files

Dropboxer

Hi @Ann 296 and @Adamski147, thanks for posting on the Community!

I've merged your posts here so that you can check the steps provided by @Lusil in her post on how to deal with ransomware on your files.

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Ransomeware Attack

New member | Level 2

We have infected with a ransomware called maas. all files in our dropbox infected with .maas virus. after the mess all out connected PCs are effected from dropbox folder synchronization.

Highlighted

Re: Ransomeware Attack

Collaborator | Level 10

Hi

You can use Dropbox Rewind https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/rewind to restore the files to a state before the infection. 

Good luck and keep us posted. Remember to also implement a reputable anti virus / endpoint protection solution!

Regards

Casper

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?