cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My photos were added to my account without my knowledge and they've taken up my storage

My photos were added to my account without my knowledge and they've taken up my storage

Explorer | Level 3

I recently downloaded some photos from my iPhone into my iPhotos and they went into my dropbox as well without my knowledge and used up most of my storage. I don't need these photos in dropbox. How can I remove them? Will they disappear from iPhotos if I do? Until this photo incident, I only had one file with some SEO results and everything has been fine. Why would any file go into Dropbox that I don't willingly put into it? Thanks for any advice. 

5 Replies 5

Re: Storage

Dropboxer

Hi there @CRM8, thanks for reaching out to us. 

It sounds like you may have had camera uploads enabled, which automatically adds photos that are in your Camera Roll folder. 

If you delete the images that are in your Dropbox account, it won't affect the others that are in any other location outside of your account, as they are not considered to be the same file. 

You can turn the feature off by following these steps

Give that a try, and let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Lusil:

Thanks for your help. I will give it a try. If I have other questions, I'll be sure to contact you.

Best wishes!

Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

Thanks! It worked. Can you lead me to how to delete some of these photos? I tried dragging them to the trash (I'm on a Mac Catalina)

And it didn't work. I looked for a trash icon in the box but wasn't successful.

CRM8

Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you were able to get to the bottom of this, @CRM8!

You should be able to delete the photos from your Dropbox folder like you would with any other. 

Do you get any error messages when you try to delete them?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

I know I asked you, but I felt like I should learn to better troubleshoot on my own, so I found a help link that told me to drag the file folder with the photos into the trash. I did and was successful. I only received 3 different short messages each saying that a few hundred files were deleted per message.  I didn't even know I had that many photos in there, and my trash bin looks unusually full now LOL I thought I recently emptied it, but will double-check some items before I empty the trash bin. Anyway, thank you for the support because I always feel more secure asking someone who knows, and I needed the initial information to understand and get started.

Best wishes,

CRM8

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?