cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My shared dropbox folder has been deleted

My shared dropbox folder has been deleted

New member | Level 2

Recently a shared Dropbox-folder I'm in has been deleted. Someone else created the folder a couple of years ago, but she doesn't use it anymore. The folder still shows up if I go to All Files > Show Deleted Files, but when I try to re-add the shared folder, I get a pop-up saying "We were unable to complete your request". I looked in my "Events" it says : You removed your access to the shared folder (name) - 1/11/2020 4:24 PM

This wasn't done by me, as I haven't used Dropbox in a while. I asked someone else in the Dropbox, and she said she also can't see the folder anymore.

Is there a way to restore the folder? Or do I need to contact the person who created the folder? Any help would be appreciated. 

5 Replies 5

Re: My shared dropbox folder has been deleted

Dropboxer

Hey @lottesav; thanks for posting on our Community!

Can you please let me know if you see this folder in your sharing tab?

If it's listed there, do you see the option to add it back to your account? 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hello Walter, thanks for replying! I don't see the folder listed in my Sharing tab.

It only appears when I go to All Files > Show deleted files, and I get the option to Re-add it, but it doesn't work sadly. 

Dropboxer

Hi @lottesav, if it isn't in the sharing tab, and you had the event saying you removed your access, then it means you weren't the owner of the shared folder, and you were removed from the folder by the owner.

As this is the case, only the owner can re-invite you back to the shared folder, since it won't be possible to recover the folder from your account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hello Jay, thank you for the reply, this clears it up! I contacted the original owner of the folder and she says she has indeed accidentally removed the entire folder, instead of just removing her own access. She is not able to restore the folder, as she apparently did this more than 30 days ago. 

Is there a way to restore older folders?

Otherwise I guess I will just have to find any backed-up files I have on my PC...

Dropboxer

How did they 'remove' the folder? Did they unshare it completely from their own account, or just delete it?

Can they add the folder back on this page on their account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?