cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

#NAME? error for Excel VBA Macros when viewing on Dropbox

#NAME? error for Excel VBA Macros when viewing on Dropbox

josherhoff
New member | Level 2

Hi,

There's a spreadsheet that I share with my client that includes a large number of VBA formulas that I have created. The spreadsheet works smoothly on Excel, but my client only has read permissions for the folder and uses the Dropbox website to view the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, all the cells containing formulas that I've created using Excel's macro tool show a #NAME? error when he views the spreadsheet through the Dropbox website. When he downloads the file and opens it with Excel, the cells are populated without any errors, but he doesn't want to have to download the spreadsheet each time he views the file and I cannot give him edit permissions so that he could store it on his C: drive.

Is the Dropbox website viewer application incapable of handling custom macro formulas, or is there a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks for your help.

Joshua

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: #NAME? error for Excel VBA Macros when viewing on Dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @josherhoff, thanks for contacting us!

The Dropbox site allows you to preview files easily without needing the native app.

When it comes to documents and spreadsheets, it tries to accurately show the file as it would appear in the native app, though this might not be possible due to the layout or newer features in the doc.

Custom macros would fall under this category, since the site can't parse the code needed to present the result. The only way to view them normally would be to download the file itself.

I hope this info helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: #NAME? error for Excel VBA Macros when viewing on Dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @josherhoff, thanks for contacting us!

The Dropbox site allows you to preview files easily without needing the native app.

When it comes to documents and spreadsheets, it tries to accurately show the file as it would appear in the native app, though this might not be possible due to the layout or newer features in the doc.

Custom macros would fall under this category, since the site can't parse the code needed to present the result. The only way to view them normally would be to download the file itself.

I hope this info helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?