cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native Dropbox App for Mac OS. Where did it go?

Native Dropbox App for Mac OS. Where did it go?

Tinchohs
Collaborator | Level 9

Today I opened my Mac and the Dropbox app I use every day on my mac to interact with Dropbox is no longer working. Essentially, to the best of my understanding after a brief exchange with Support, is that you are redirected to the Mac Finder. And if you want to access things like Folders Pins, reference content associated with a project, etc, it's all gone and you have to go to the web to get it. 

I personally find this a quite unfortunate direction for the development of the platform. I read more and more in the community about the need for offline support and native apps, and as far as I understood, the commitment from Dropbox to do so, and out of the blue whatever we already had of native support in the mac is gone. 

And then is the way it was done. No announcement that I saw. I clicked on the app this morning, and the same icon redirected me, without any notification, to the Mac Finder. At the very least I would hope for some form of context-setting or explanation. 

From where I can see things, unfortunate all around. Very disappointing... 

2 Replies 2

Re: Native Dropbox App for Mac OS. Where did it go?

Hunter
Dropboxer
Hey @Tinchohs, and thank you for posting on our Community!

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and thoughts.

Your feedback has been noted on our system.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Hunter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Native Dropbox App for Mac OS. Where did it go?

Tinchohs
Collaborator | Level 9

I heard a little more context into this change. It seems Dropbox is trying to migrate functionality as much as possible to be part of Finder. Not sure how far they can get. In any case, I also learned that you can, at least for now, revert the changes and use the Mac Dropbox App. 

If you would like to keep using the desktop app, you can open up 'Preferences' in the system tray and select 'Open folders in: Dropbox desktop app'

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tinchohs Collaborator | Level 9
    Hunter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?