cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Syncing

Need Help with Syncing

SDCoordinator
New member | Level 2

So I am reaching out to anyone who can help me out. I am having trouble managing my syncing on my computer. My Dropbox is trying to synce a folder and I only need a few things from the folder. How do I stop the syncing process?

3 Replies 3

Re: Need Help with Syncing

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @SDCoordinator, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

Generally, when you sync a folder, all of its contents become available locally.

Just to clarify, do you want to have only some of its files visible or are you trying to save local storage?

Let me know and we'll go from there, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

SDCoordinator
New member | Level 2

So I have projects that from old jobs that I did that are still active and they seem to be continually syncing and I don't know how to opt out of them syncing their files with me and then when I try to sync certain files from a folder in dropbox it doesn't allow me to do it Locally without interfering with the Online. I was able to work around it but I really don't want to have to be doing it the way I have been doing it moving forward because my job is really demanding and fast and I need for what ever I do whether downloading one overall file with everything or just a selected file. I hope this makes some kind of sense.

Lusil
Dropboxer
If you're the only member (apart from the owner), you can ask the owner to remove the files you don't need access to. 

Otherwise, if there are other users who are a part of the shared folder, but you have a paid subscription, you can Smart Sync the files you don't need as online-only. 

That way, although they will appear in the file structure, they'll take as little space as possible on your hard drive. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?