cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help creating shortcuts from new app to desktop

Need help creating shortcuts from new app to desktop

AngelaKF
New member | Level 2

I am using Chrome on Windows 10.  Since my computer updated a few weeks ago and i have the new dropbox app, I cannot find a way to create a shortcut to my desktop.  I have seen others post this same issue, but don't see any answers yet.  

I used to be able to click on the file and there was an option to create a shortcut.  Now that is not an option.  However, i have old shortcuts that were created prior to the update, and they are still active, just can't create more.  

Any help apprciated.  

2 Replies 2

Re: Need help creating shortcuts from new app to desktop

Elixir
Super User

If the previous shortcuts are still working, you can copy and paste those shortcuts in a new location. That should work. In Windows, apart from Create shortcut, there might be another option on right click context menu, Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). Do you see that option?

Re: Need help creating shortcuts from new app to desktop

lowtechguy
New member | Level 2

1/24/2021

I had the same problem with Windows 10  PC and Google and Dropbox.  It used to be so eay.  Struggle for a year ofr so. Then I decided to try it backwards adn worked for me. A bit more cumbersome but it works.

See below.

Create a Dropbox file shortcut to my desktop.

Do it in reverse.

1. Copy file from Dropbox
  2. Paste to desktop
  3. Create Shortcut of the file you just created and pasted on Desktop.
  4. Cut and paste the Short cut back into Dropbox
  5. Do a couple of tests to make sure it is synching properly between desktop and drobox.
  6. Then delete original Dropbox file after making sure the new ones synch with each other.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?