cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help telling users how to access newly added content

Need help telling users how to access newly added content

ChiFly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I administer a Business Dropbox account that currently has 165 users. There are two folders that the larger audience has access to. I completely relabeled and corrected all of the files and folders so that at the top level there are only those two folders for the entire 165 users to access. One of the folders allows for edits, the other is view only. I re-shared the folders thinking that would overwrite whatever they had on their desktops. Nope. 

I have continual complaints that they can't see the two folders, or they are not named as they are in the new schema.

What did I do wrong, and what do I tell them, so it shows up correctly on their systems?  I also wonder if multiple email addresses on the receivers' end has anything to do with this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @ChiFly 

Did you rename the shares? If so that doesnt impact upon anything - the shares on all other accounts, and in fact on any new shares you do, will stay with the original name you use. Thats because anybody who is in a share is able to rename it and move it themselves within their own account. 

They will have the folders with correct data and permissions assigned, however, it will probably have the old names on them. 

With that in mind if you want everybody to have newly named folders you need to start from scratch with setting up (literally creating a new folder) and putting all the data in that and sharing that out. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @ChiFly 

Did you rename the shares? If so that doesnt impact upon anything - the shares on all other accounts, and in fact on any new shares you do, will stay with the original name you use. Thats because anybody who is in a share is able to rename it and move it themselves within their own account. 

They will have the folders with correct data and permissions assigned, however, it will probably have the old names on them. 

With that in mind if you want everybody to have newly named folders you need to start from scratch with setting up (literally creating a new folder) and putting all the data in that and sharing that out. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ChiFly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I had renamed a folder that was too similar to every folder everyone already has - "Education." But it didn't change fro anyone who previously held that folder. I was told to create a brand new folder with the name I wanted and move all the underling subfolders to the new master folder. I did that. Now I wan to share that new folder with my 175 group members. 

That was June 21st. I am still getting the error message "Folder updates in progress — please try again later" today, June 28th. Really? Why should a folder take that long to "update?" Is there anyway to find out what the hang up is?

I am beginning to hate Dropbox - it is extraordinarily finnicky.

ChiFly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I did as suggested. Now the problem is I can't enable the new folder with the now 175 people to whom it is to be shared. I get an error message that the folder is till processing 7 days later...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ChiFly, thanks for the nudge here.

Let's see what we can find about this situation.

Does the "folder updates in progress" message appear in your account online or locally in the Dropbox folder?

If it's online, what happens when you refresh the page and try again?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ChiFly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The error message only appears in Dropbox. It is persistent and won't go away even when I try to stop the update process.

ChiFly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Just to clarify. The message only appears after I try to add the 177 members (yes, I know the number keeps changing - we keep adding new members!) as view only users.  I add the list of emails and specify that they are only view only. Then the error message pops up.

ChiFly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So the answer is that Dropbox limits the number of members you can provide access to. In my case the limit is 75. It has nothing to do with file size or changes that I made; it is purely a random limitation of adds based on some misguided notion that the 76th person added represents a Dropbox miscreant. This is a spurious limitation at best and does nothing more than irritate the administrator and adds hours to the work day!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ChiFly, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

To be completely honest, I have never heard of such a limit for shared folders. Can you please send us a screenshot of the exact error you've been getting or the last screen you can get to, so that we can have a visual as well? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ChiFly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Here is an outtake from my chat thread with Support:

"This is a follow up e-mail to our chat earlier.
As per our conversation, you were getting an error, when trying to share a folder.
As mentioned, it would seem that, to prevent abuse, there is a limit on how many shared folder invitations you can send in one day.
As such, I would recommend inviting as many batches of members as possible, and if you get an error at any point regarding too many invitations, continue sharing after 24 hours."

So 177 shares is too much in one day, I broke the shares up and the system threw up at #75.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ChiFly Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?