cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need more space to access a shared folder? Why?

Need more space to access a shared folder? Why?

New member | Level 2

I would like to know why I have to have the available space to match a shared folder?  While the entire contents in a shared folder are perhaps larger than my available free space, what if I only want to browse and copy/download one or two files from within that shared folder?  This doesn't make any sense to me, and seems a rather silly restriction, and maybe a ploy to force others into paying for a premium plan.

1 Reply 1

Re: Need more space to access a shared folder? Why?

Super User II

@jdavis70 wrote:

I would like to know why I have to have the available space to match a shared folder?

Because the entirety of the shared folder sits in your account, so you need to have enough space to hold it.

... what if I only want to browse and copy/download one or two files from within that shared folder?

The owner can send you a shared link to the folder, which allows you to browse and download the content of the share, no Dropbox account required.

This doesn't make any sense to me, and seems a rather silly restriction, and maybe a ploy to force others into paying for a premium plan.

It actually prevents people from stacking accounts for unlimited storage.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?