Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Need to turn off smart sync. Dropbox deleted my photos while I chose everything to be local.

Explorer | Level 3

I have a funeral to prepare for and need to get all my photos and templates for the order of service - which I need to do today.  I go to the folder only to find that Dropbox has deleted nearly all of my photos off my hard drive despite me choosing everything to be local.  I switched off the hidden option to undo it now it is taking hours to sync.  Words cannot describe how much I loathe Dropbox right now.  Want to lose customers?  Try deleting their irreplaceable files off their hard drive without their permission when they are grieving and under time pressure.  I used to hate OneDrive, but they have my business now.  

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How can I completely disable Smart Sync?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @Richard20. Sorry for this difficult situation you are going through.

I moved your comment out of the Smart Sync discussion, because Smart Sync does not remove your files from your hard drive. Smart Synced files show in the local Dropbox folder. But have different syncing icons. Selective Sync removes files completely. So, I understand the settings that removed the folders were selective sync settings. 

Please note that these settings, cannot delete your files. So we should find your files online. Are your files showing on Dropbox.com?

Please check there and let me know what you find. I hope you see your files there and I can help you sync them back to the device. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?