cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Drobox app is terrible!

New Drobox app is terrible!

pavsiingh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If I wanted to look at the latest files uploaded to my dropbox, I'd click on the dropbox icon in my menubar (Mac OS) and click on the folder containing the file that was last uploded as the folder tree was right under the file name.

On top of that I could right click the file name in the app, copy a link to these files and share it with whatever app I wanted to as the link was now in my clipboard. I could also go to folder the file was in simply by clicking the name of it etc etc and now ALL I can do is open the file. 

Who makes these incredibly stupid and unintuitive design decisions? ADD functionality, don't remove it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MarkRM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Spoke to Dropbox support and this might (hopefully) not be intentional and an issue with the latest early release version. If you need to revert, do this:

1 Log in to dropbox.com using your web browser.
2 Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
3 Click on "Settings".
4 From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

That fixed it for me.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @pavsiingh, thanks for posting on our Community and taking the time to share your thoughts on this. 

Just to make sure I got this right, can you send me a screenshot of how this looks like on your end? 

If you could also include the version of the desktop app you're using at the moment, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dougschi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same exact problem.  It's like dropbox stepped back 5 years.   It doesn't show "FOR YOU",  "RECENT", and "NOTIFICATIONS" .. .Now it can only pause syncing and open recent files in the desktop.  It no longer delivers an easy way to create a link

This is actually extremely serious!  It slows me down tremendously.

BEFORE

Screenshot 2021-04-01 201213.jpg

AFTER

Screenshot 2021-04-01 201300.jpg

MarkRM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I absolutely agree. One of the best things they added in the last few years was the search box, which I used constantly as I work out of Dropbox on all my work projects. They've now bafflingly removed this, along with a bunch of other functionality, for no other reason I can see except to force people over to their (pretty terrible) standalone app. This is a huge step backwards.

MarkRM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Spoke to Dropbox support and this might (hopefully) not be intentional and an issue with the latest early release version. If you need to revert, do this:

1 Log in to dropbox.com using your web browser.
2 Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
3 Click on "Settings".
4 From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

That fixed it for me.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MarkRM wrote:

Spoke to Dropbox support and this might (hopefully) not be intentional and an issue with the latest early release version

lennykoy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've unchecked it, restarted the desktop app, and it is still the same after. 

Were there any further 'revert to old version' option?

MarkRM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey Lenny.

You have to download and reinstall the app from the Dropbox download page as well (a simple restart will not do it).

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@lennykoy wrote:

I've unchecked it, restarted the desktop app, and it is still the same after.

@MarkRM is correct. Disabling the setting just prevents you from getting new early release versions going forward. You need to remove the beta and install a stable version of the Dropbox app.

nana71
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The top features like search and overview to navigate between notifications and updates on dropbox are gone. 

Is this an update or a bug? I use it all the time, workflow is bugged. Don't have connection problems and simply logged in. 

I have dropbox teams. So info or help welcome!

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 11.39.37.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    SophieKeij Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    nana71 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?