cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Dropbox App continuously makes my external HDD unusable

Highlighted

New Dropbox App continuously makes my external HDD unusable

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, since the "new" fancy looking Version of Dropbox was released, the App is totaly broken for me. My Dropxbox-Folder is located on an external HDD via US 3.0. Before everything was fine and and worked without any issues, but now following happens every time I trying to setup Dropbox:

At first, everything looks good, and files are being sycned (around 1,1TB of data). Sometimes the sync completes, and Dropxbox is running fine for some while, but than all of sudden, no file on the drive can be accessed anymore (Dropbox crashes together with this error) and all applications trying to access the disk report a hardware failure.

After disconnectiong the drive, everything is fine again until I'm starting Dropbox. Few seconds later the drive is blocked again and every application trying to access it reports a serious hardware problem.

I've checked the disk and SMART staus, everything is totally fine and the problem occures only, if the Dropbox app is running.

If this problem is not solved soon, I'm going to quit my subscriptions because this really sucks.

Is there a way to switch back to the old version without beeing bothered of a new update? Has anybody else the same or similiar issue?

My OS is Windows 10 (most recent release), the external Dribe a WD MyBook 2TB Duo, latest Dropbox App installed.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: New Dropbox App continuously makes my external HDD unusable

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @yankun0567, thanks for joining the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Currently there isn't a way to return to the older version of the Dropbox app, as it will automatically update to the newest version.

How many files do you have on your Dropbox account? Have you done a recent update to the OS or external drive software?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm having arround 1500 folders with about 40000 files spread across them. The folders are located flat at the Dropbox root.

Sometime a full sync completes and works for some time, other times already the intial sync breaks. You can imagine, that syncing 1,1TB is very time consuming.

I've reinstalled the app already multiple times, including the manual deletion of files from the AppData folder and the complete deletion of the Dropbox folder.

The problem started to occur after the Upgrade to the latest Windows Release Build 2004.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @yankun0567!

Can you let me know exactly which version of the desktop app you have installed? You can see this by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?