cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Dropbox folder on my iMac doesn't show up on my iPad

New Dropbox folder on my iMac doesn't show up on my iPad

Explorer | Level 3

I recently had a HUGE problem with my early 2008 MacBook Pro where somehow when booted up it attempted to download every dropbox file to my small hard drive and trashed my laptop.  When I tried to delete the app on my MBP it deleted all of my dropbox files herr on the web. Luckily I was able to restore everything but I can't boot up that hard drive anymore until I get a new HD or recycle it.  

I don't want the same thing to happn now with my iPad (air-2) and my iMac 2015 running Catalina OS 10.15.7 which is giving me enough problems.  I hate Catalina but my Logitect MX Keys and my new MX Vertical mouse requires Catalina UGH!

On my iPad I have the DropBox app so if I open that or go to 'Files' Dropbox I can see the folders and files on my WiFi connection WITHOUT downloading everything.  I use my iPad to watch some training videos.  cooking and exercise stuff.  Don't really need to actually download the video to my iPad for offline use becasuse it's in my house and my own WiFi connection.

Okay so now here/s my question!

I created a new folder on my iMac in DropBox; (TO-DROPBO I have 3 MP4 videos in that folder.  When I go to myiPad that folder does NOT show up.    Do I need to create the new folder here on my Dropbox.com?  

I'm scared now because of my MBP Laptop problem.  I'm afraid if I use the term sync my iPad HD will fill up too.

HELP!

Thanks

Allen

4 Replies 4

Re: New Dropbox folder on my iMac doesn't show up on my iPad

Dropboxer

Hey @Allen Z.; welcome to our Community!

It sounds like the app on your computer hasn't finished syncing the folder in question.

Could you take a look at your menu bar and let me know if it's up to date or still syncing?

Can you see that folder when you log into your account from a web browser?

As for the mobile app, note that it's mostly intended to preview files and not sync them locally exactly to prevent files taking up space on your mobile devices. 

In any case, please let me know what you find, Allen. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

Thanks very much for your reply.  My 1st mistake was to use the term sync then.  Somehow thst's how my early 2008 MBP got trashed. DP downloaded everything and filled up my hard drive.  whern I tried to delete everything off my MBP HD it also deleted asll my DropBox files online here.  Luckily I was able to restore everything with the help of DropBox Support.

Simply.  I find some cooking videos on You Tube and downloasd them to my iMac.  Then I have my recent iPad air 2 and bring that into the kitchen to watch the video.  NOT to download itnto my iPad.  Don't need to do that

I probably should have just put that video into an existing folder on my iMac's dropbox folder.  I have done this many times, watching some videos from my iMac's DropBox folder on my iPad.

Another thing that bothers me is I don't see a file structure on the iPad like is on my finder.  Looks different.

Should I have come online here to crereate that nrw file folder?

AllenFinder DB.jpgDB-iPad.jpg

Not sure which menu bar you're referring to but there's no DropBox icon on either the iMac or iPad.

Dropboxer
Hey @Allen Z.; I'm sorry for the late response here. 

Could you please make sure that you're logged into the same account on both devices and that the apps are up to date?

Also, note that if you're running the desktop app on your device, you should be seeing its status in your menu bar; this is why I asked you to check there at first. 

Apart from that, do you see the same file structure when you log into your account on the website from both devices? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

Same file struxture online and on my iMac.  Basically most of the files/foldersshow uponmy iPad except the one I'm looing for. Same as the photo above.

Anyway I quit worrying about it.  I was able to bring up the video another way.

I see the Dropbox icon on my iPad but don't kniw if it's the app or not.  I don;t want to download any files, I just want to be able to access a file or 2 and view it or watch the video on the iPad via my WiFi.

Thanks anyway

Allen

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?