cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Files and Folders Auto Selected on Dropbox Web

Highlighted

New Files and Folders Auto Selected on Dropbox Web

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Whenever I upload a file or create a new folder, Dropbox defaults to selecting this file with a check mark.

It's a minor thing, but pretty annoying because any next steps I take with the file/folder (most common being opening or viewing) I have to unselect the file first.

Does anyone know why Dropbox web behaves like this and if there's a way to turn it off? It's a pretty useless behavior as there's really not much you can do with the file/folder until you uncheck it. The actions you can take don't seem like anything anyone would do with a newly created file (download, star, rename, move, copy, delete).

Just another unnecessary annoyance. If I could get rid of it I'd be grateful.

Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 12.46.51 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: New Files and Folders Auto Selected on Dropbox Web

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @cpv0424!

You’re right, once you upload a file or folder via the website, it will automatically be selected as you illustrated in your screenshot. Currently, there isn’t a way to disable that, but I do understand how important this is for you, so I’ve made sure to share your comments with the dev team. 

In the mean time, if you upload one file/folder, just uncheck it, and if you upload more than one file/folder, you can click on the little box that’s at the top of the page to deselect the files/folders in one go:Name.png

I hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @cpv0424!

You’re right, once you upload a file or folder via the website, it will automatically be selected as you illustrated in your screenshot. Currently, there isn’t a way to disable that, but I do understand how important this is for you, so I’ve made sure to share your comments with the dev team. 

In the mean time, if you upload one file/folder, just uncheck it, and if you upload more than one file/folder, you can click on the little box that’s at the top of the page to deselect the files/folders in one go:Name.png

I hope this helped to some extent. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply! Hopefully, this will be changed.

Any idea what the thinking was on setting it up like this? I can't figure out what sense it makes.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I’m afraid I can’t pin-point as to why, but I imagine it’s so that once you upload a file/folder, you have the relevant options displayed for easier access. 

Let me know if you have any other thoughts or comments you’d like me to forward, @cpv0424

Lusil

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same thing here, very annoying... althought its a minor issue but it really annoy and slowing down the steps that you going to do next.

Kind of frustrating...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @hianboy

Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us. Whether negative or positive, your feedback helps us improve.

If you have any other comments or questions for us, please don't hesitate to get back to us. In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful week ahead! 

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Help
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Saadtamimi

I'd be more than happy to assist. What seems to be the issue? 

Let me know and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I agree that this is a really annoying setting, and completely unnecessary. Please create a way to turn this off.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?