cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install - Smart Sync Issue - Macbook Pro 2019

Highlighted

New Install - Smart Sync Issue - Macbook Pro 2019

Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I've just initialised a new Macbook Pro and have downloaded the latest Dropbox app, logged in and am trying to smart sync my online directory to my laptop.

Never had any issues in the past with other machines, however I have a smart sync issue.  All files appear to be downloading locally - even though during setup it was specifically set to online-only.  Confirming all online-only settings are correct on my account, and my dropbox syncs perfectly to my other machine.  I have no antivirus or firewall permissions issues.  All mac related permissions were granted, but no joy.  When I right click a syncing folder, I don't get any Dropbox related options - even after waiting some time.

I have unlinked, uninstalled, deleted Library and other prefs., restarted and re-downloaded the app and still now joy.  Done this twice now and still no joy.  There are over 1.8M files on that dropbox/17TB worth of data - I obviously cannot download it all.  

Is there anything you can suggest?

Thanks,

Z

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: New Install - Smart Sync Issue - Macbook Pro 2019

Helpful | Level 6

@Daphne 

Fixed it!  Although quite drastic.  The only way I could get it to work was completely wiping my mac and starting box fresh again...  I setup this mac from a time machine and suspected that there must have been some directory setup issues.  Seems to be the case.  Have you ever had complaints of that before?

Thanks for your help trying to track down the issue!

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hello @zakkhein, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Are you possibly part of a Business team? 

The admin of a team can specify specific sync settings as the default when first syncing.

Could you also send me a screenshot of the setting you're applying during the setup of the app to choose "online only"?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Firstly, thanks for your help!

Yes, part of a business team.  Upon another fresh install to get these screenshots, I can confirm it looks as if the admin sets Local as initial preference.  However I always clicked to ignore that and set it to online-only every time.  Screengrabs attached.

Still have smart sync issue on first load of Dropbox.  My other laptop is now also saying it is uploading 1.7M+ files...

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Greeted with this every timeGreeted with this every time

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Data transfer rate is also incredibly slow for that process.  All other processes on my fibre internet line are fine.

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 20.00.37.png

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for those screenshots @zakkhein, it's very helpful to have a visual on this.

When the app was installed, was it installed with admin permissions?

If so, I would suggest using the selective sync while setting up the app to choose only one small folder to do some further testing with.

From there, we can troubleshoot the issue with the app not being able to use Smart Sync while having the app installed and setup.

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Daphne,

Thanks for your reply.  

Yes, installed on each machine I use wth full admin priviledges.  I've selective sync'd down to one small folder, 2.2GB of data in.  I've let those settings apply for a bit and this is still the case.  The dropbox local folder still also has all of the index folders with in progress symbols next to them:

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 16.45.06.pngScreenshot 2020-10-15 at 16.45.14.png

Confirming online settingsConfirming online settings

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If you check in the following location, do you see a prompt showing that Smart Sync isn't enabled, with an option next to it to "Enable"?

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "General" tab.

Daphne

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Daphne 

Nothing showing up, no.

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 17.13.20.png

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?