cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Laptop, New PC folder not automatically updating under dropbox folder, old PC folder stil...

New Laptop, New PC folder not automatically updating under dropbox folder, old PC folder still there

BHoegg
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

A few months ago I downloaded Dropbox to use on my work laptop. Last month I needed to upgrade to a new laptop, and after downloading dropbox to the new laptop I'm having some issues with my folders. It seems as though the PC folder saved locally under the dropbox folder on my new laptop is the PC folder from my old laptop. When I log into the desktop app, 2 PC folders appear; PC and PC(2). PC(2) appears to be the PC folder for the new laptop as it automatically updates with any files I save locally onto my new laptop. However, the PC(2) folder is nowhere to be found under the local dropbox folder saved onto my laptop and I can not figure out how to get it saved there so it automatically updates itself with any files I save locally on my laptop.

Thank you for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Laptop, New PC folder not automatically updating under dropbox folder, old PC folder stil...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @BHoegg, could you check to see if PC(2) is a hidden folder by enabling hidden files?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Nancy
Dropboxer
Welcome aboard the Community, @BHoegg!

Can you please clarify where exactly are you seeing the PC(2) folder that has been created for your new laptop, since you mention that it's missing from the local Dropbox folder? 

You can also send over a screenshot of what you see on your end, if you’d like. Just make sure that no personal info is showing on it. 

Keep me posted!

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BHoegg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I apologize for the delay in my response - work and everything has been very busy lately. Please see the attached screenshot. On the left you'll see the dropbox webpage showing both the PC (2) folder, which is the local documents folder from my new laptop, and the PC folder, which is the local documents folder from my previous laptop. On the right you'll see the dropbox folder saved locally to my current laptop, which only has the PC folder, which again was the local documents folder from my previous laptop. Nowhere in my dropbox folder saved locally to my current laptop does my current local documents folder automatically save and update - I have to go to the webpage to find this folder. Is this normal? Or should my local PC folder save automatically to my dropbox folder as well? Thank you!!!!Screenshot 2022-01-25 11.32.57.png

Nancy
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots, @BHoegg!

If you go to the local Dropbox folder of the new device, there is a “PC (2)” and “PC (2) (1)” folder that appear to be located inside “PC”. 

If you click on them, are you able to see any files from your new laptop perhaps? 

Let me know.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

BHoegg
Explorer | Level 3

These folders were manually copied from the PC(2) folder on the dropbox webpage and pasted into the local PC folder by me, they do not automatically update with new or edited files like the PC(2) Folder does on the webpage, it was one of my attempts to figure it out. When I tried to delete them I received a notification that they were still updating and could not be removed, even days after uploading them so I've just left them alone at this point.

Megan
Dropboxer
Hi @BHoegg, sorry to jump in here! 

Can you let me know the app's syncing status

If I were you, I'd also check the selective sync settings, to make sure you've not removed the folder from syncing locally to the device.

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

BHoegg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, 

No apologies necessary, any help is appreciated! The syncing status is up to date and the folder is present and selected in my selective sync.

Nancy
Dropboxer
Hi again @BHoegg, and thanks for all the info you’ve provided so far!

May I ask you for one more screenshot of your computer backup settings on the new device? You can check this by opening your desktop app preferences and going to your Backups tab. 

Also, what’s the app version you see when hovering over the small Dropbox icon at the bottom of your screen?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

BHoegg
Explorer | Level 3

Nancy,

I think you may have figured it out, the pictures are unselected which seems to be keeping the PC (2) folder from being fully checked off. Not sure why this is preventing the PC(2) folder from being seen in my local dropbox folder, though. The issue is photos are being backed up using onedrive, not a big deal since the folder is empty, but for some reason onedrive will not allow me to deselect the pictures folder from within its settings in order for me to allow dropbox to back the folder up.... so unfortunately it looks like it's stuck until I can figure out how to deselect the folder from onedrive... also dropbox appears to be up to date, running version 140.4.1951Screenshot 2022-01-27 10.40.27.png

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @BHoegg, could you check to see if PC(2) is a hidden folder by enabling hidden files?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?