Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

New files and changes from the last 10 days are gone

Explorer | Level 3

When I accessed my Dropbox Plus account today, all new files, changes and activity from the last 10 days were gone. I had to restore my computer to factory settings yesterday due to performance issues and crashes. I wonder if this is related. Dropbox was working fine before. These are files I access every day, several times per day. There is nothing in the deleted files folder and no activity has been recored in events folder from the same period. I appreciate any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: New files and changes from the last 10 days are gone

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate your prompt reply on this discussion here @Jason_

Now based on your description, unfortunately it looks like your device’s performance did affect the Dropbox performance as well. In other words, while you added new content (you also edited some files &c), all these changes should have been reflected under the Recents field on your Homepage, which shows you all the files you’ve worked with recently, like docs you’ve added, edited, or moved. Can you recall if your files were syncing as expected Jason /

Despite the discrepancy having manifested itself just recently (i.e. within the last 2 days), there may have been an underlying error in the background that should’ve caused the syncing issues in the first place.  

When it comes to your inquiry @angelag, can you let me know whether you can find these if you 🔍 Search for them on your account online? Also, can you make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your device (61.4.95), so as for your files to sync from your desktop to our website  ➡️ 🕸️? 

Please do let me know of your findings here & I'll do my best to check back with you on the matter! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Jason_ let me send you some pointers that could help you determine whether these files were initially uploaded to our servers in the first place & we'll take it from your findings:

Spoiler
  • For starters, let’s shift our attention to your desktop, as you had mentioned that your device was facing performance issues & it was crashing. Do you suspect that this may have affected the Dropbox desktop application from running correctly in the background perchance? Were your files syncing correctly / ?
  • Following, have you tried checking on the Search box 🔍 on the top-right hand corner of your Account for some example filenames Jason? 
  • As you’ve mentioned that this was a recent upload, can you have a look on your Homepage online? What do you see there? 
  • In case your file was located inside a shared folder, maybe you’ve left the Share , which you can add back at any time on your Sharing tab.  
Please keep me updated here on how you get on with these initial checks & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Thanks again! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply. To address your questions:

1 - I have no reason to suspect my computer's performance issues affected Dropbox. I was experiencing computer issues for the last two days, while Dropbox seems to have been affected for the last 10 days. My files were indeed syncing. Many are files I use every day from Dropbox.

2 - Searching for files in the search box has not yielded any results.

3 - I did not mention a recent upload unless I misunderstand. The homepage shows recent activity from the last several hours then nothing till 10 days ago.

4 - There are no files in shared folders.

It's as if all the work from the last 10 days was deleted.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am experiencing the same as of today. My files that I work on everyday show nothing i saved from the last 10 days for another file it says last updated 26 days... but i have opened these files almost everyday and updated it everyday.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I appreciate your prompt reply on this discussion here @Jason_

Now based on your description, unfortunately it looks like your device’s performance did affect the Dropbox performance as well. In other words, while you added new content (you also edited some files &c), all these changes should have been reflected under the Recents field on your Homepage, which shows you all the files you’ve worked with recently, like docs you’ve added, edited, or moved. Can you recall if your files were syncing as expected Jason /

Despite the discrepancy having manifested itself just recently (i.e. within the last 2 days), there may have been an underlying error in the background that should’ve caused the syncing issues in the first place.  

When it comes to your inquiry @angelag, can you let me know whether you can find these if you 🔍 Search for them on your account online? Also, can you make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your device (61.4.95), so as for your files to sync from your desktop to our website  ➡️ 🕸️? 

Please do let me know of your findings here & I'll do my best to check back with you on the matter! 

Jane

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply. To answer your question, yes, files were synching as expected. If I was able to update and save files in Dropbox during this time, where were they being saved? The files were not saved in a local folder.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for keeping me updated on your findings @Jason_  I really appreciate it; let me have a closer look on what could’ve gone wrong via our Official Support channel. To further investigate; I’ve sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Forum profile. Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you more closely from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, I am definitly using the latest version 61.4.95. I have also search using online dropbox acc to see if the file has the latest edits/changes but it does not.  I seem to be having the same issues as Jason. As like mention these file were updated on a daily basis then closed then opened the next day to add /edit then close again. Untill the other day i had no problems then all of asudden I went to open the files and data entered for last 10days dissapered and another file it says last updated 26 days and that data gone too. Im also worried if there are other files that hav been affected that I might not come across till further down the line. These files were saved on my desktop and my whole dektop is saved to dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@angelag It appears we have the exact same problem, and isn't it interesting that the files we lost are from the same time period? 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

@Jane After you suggested to @angelag to update to the latest version of Dropbox, I did it myself just in case, even though I had reinstalled it on my factory restored computer a few days ago. I noticed the Dropbox icon on my Windows task bar, and it occured to me perhaps it was missing from there recently. Also, when I delete a file, I usually receive a message asking, "Delete...from your account and all devices?" I had not been receiving this recently and thought it was odd. What might this indicate, and what does this mean for my lost files? Thank you.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?