cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New photos don't upload unless I open App and view Photos

Highlighted

New photos don't upload unless I open App and view Photos

Helpful | Level 5

Hi

This seem to be a perennial recurring issue with the Dropbox app, but I've not seen it before on this phone (S10e running Android 10).

For some reason new photos do not appear under Home/Recent. The app will only discover and upload new photos when I go to the Photos page. I have Battery Optimisation disabled for the app and have it set to use Wifi only.

Is this a known issue with v212.2.2?

20 Replies 20
Highlighted

Re: New photos don't upload unless I open App and view Photos

Dropboxer

Hi there @Bruno E., I hope you're well today!

After you navigate to Photos, when you go back to the Home tab do you then see the new photos being added under "Recent"?

If you open the app and leave it on the Home tab for a minute or so (when you have new photos to upload), do you see the "Recent" section update at all?

It should be uploading the photos without needing to navigate to the Photos tab, but it may take a moment for the updates to show in "Recent".

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Daphne

No, the recently added photos don't show under Home / Recent, even if I leave it for several minutes with wifi available and charging etc. Some other recent photos are present though it's not immediately obvious how exhaustive the list is.

I switch to Photos and the new photos appear and start to upload immediately "Camera uploads (x left)" etc.

So it looks like two issues:

1) DB app doesn't upload photos automatically in the background, unless I open it and go to  Photos

2) Home/Recent isn't reflective of reality

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @Bruno E. - just to make sure that we cover as much initial troubleshooting as possible, could you clarify if background uploading is enabled?

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Yes it's set to "Dropbox will upload when the battery level is greater than 30%".

Also only when connected to wifi.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Have you also tried toggling the option off and on again? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

The Background uploading option doesn't have an on/off toggle as such - see below.

I tried changing the while charging option but it made no difference.

Then yesterday I thought it was fixed by a phone firmware update but today it's back to not uploading again. So it's an intermittent issue.

2020-11-10 19.08.58 croppped.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Could you check the OS's battery settings in case the device itself is preventing camera uploads from uploading accordingly?

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Can you clarify exactly which settings you mean?

In the OP I mentioned "I have Battery Optimisation disabled for the app".

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I see that you did mentioned doing an update for the device, are there possibly any other pending OS updates just to make sure everything is up to date?

Also, if you haven't already, please try reinstalling the mobile app to see if that helps at all.

Thanks @Bruno E.!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?