cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Dropbox.Don't understand how licensing works.Business trial has ended and will not sync now.

New to Dropbox.Don't understand how licensing works.Business trial has ended and will not sync now.

bengibbs75
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

So my question is what do I need to do if I am on a team of real estate agents and only need acess to 2 folders in drop box? I have those permissions and can access them.  the problem is I originally signed up for buiness trail versoin and that ended and now so my folders and files will not sync. I am using MacOS Sierra

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Ben (@bengibbs75), thanks for explaining matters to me in such detail! 

To my understanding Ben, the team in question is currently in "locked state" (which is what’s happening when their trial period expires). Locked state limits Dropbox functionality, you will have view-only access to your content & it’s expected that syncing stops however please bear in mind that your files will not be removed and team members will still be able to access them. 

From there, you’ll be given two options, namely to purchase Dropbox Business if you wish or disband the team, where all team members will be converted to individual accounts. 

If you’re a team member, you can opt to leave the team — where you’ll keep unshared content, shared folders you own & folders that were shared explicitly with you. 

Last but not least, please bear in mind that when a team admin disbands a team all team member accounts become individual Dropbox accounts. Please note that team admins receive a copy of all team content. Any team member who is not a team admin will of course lose access to the team content. Also, as a result of this action, team members keep access to their own files and folders.

Spoiler
Additionally, once a team disbands, the following occurs:
- The team structure is deleted
- Shared folders outside of team space keep sharing relationships
- Any pending invites are deleted
- Suspended users are deleted
- Shared links to team-owned content break; links for shared folders/files do not
- Team content created by deleted team members is lost permanently
- Archived folders are deleted
Hopefully my message points you towards the right direction & helps make the right decision; please do let me know my suggestion works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Happy Friday & thanks for checking in on our Forum!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Ben (@bengibbs75), thanks for explaining matters to me in such detail! 

To my understanding Ben, the team in question is currently in "locked state" (which is what’s happening when their trial period expires). Locked state limits Dropbox functionality, you will have view-only access to your content & it’s expected that syncing stops however please bear in mind that your files will not be removed and team members will still be able to access them. 

From there, you’ll be given two options, namely to purchase Dropbox Business if you wish or disband the team, where all team members will be converted to individual accounts. 

If you’re a team member, you can opt to leave the team — where you’ll keep unshared content, shared folders you own & folders that were shared explicitly with you. 

Last but not least, please bear in mind that when a team admin disbands a team all team member accounts become individual Dropbox accounts. Please note that team admins receive a copy of all team content. Any team member who is not a team admin will of course lose access to the team content. Also, as a result of this action, team members keep access to their own files and folders.

Spoiler
Additionally, once a team disbands, the following occurs:
- The team structure is deleted
- Shared folders outside of team space keep sharing relationships
- Any pending invites are deleted
- Suspended users are deleted
- Shared links to team-owned content break; links for shared folders/files do not
- Team content created by deleted team members is lost permanently
- Archived folders are deleted
Hopefully my message points you towards the right direction & helps make the right decision; please do let me know my suggestion works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Happy Friday & thanks for checking in on our Forum!  

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

bengibbs75
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am not sure the team is in a locked state. They are not  getting the notifications I am about syncing. So is it becuase I don't have licensing that I am getting this? Is there a free version I can use to access the files? Does everyone on a team need a license? I am not sure that everyone has a license. I thought only the admin person needs it? Sorry, Very confused. Don't know how this works. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for looping back to me Ben (@bengibbs75), I’ll do my best to explain matters in a bit more detail for you below! 

the problem is I originally signed up for buiness trail versoin and that ended

I deducted the current state of affairs based on your description above Ben, as a team can end up in locked state if their trial period expires. Essentially this merely aims to act as a reminder, since the team admin will need to choose between reverting all accounts to personal ones or upgrading if they’d wish to keep the team structure. 

They are not  getting the notifications I am about syncing.  
Hmm… Interesting.. Are you sure that they’ve joined the team in the first place? If you’re the team admin Ben, you can easily check that on the Members tab on your admin console. 

So is it becuase I don't have licensing that I am getting this?  
No, it’s just because you’re still a member of the team & you haven’t made a decision as of yet. 

Is there a free version I can use to access the files?  
Yes, however you’ll still need to make a decision. If you’re a member, you can opt to leave the team, whereas if you’re an admin, you can convert all connected accounts  to individual Dropbox accounts. 

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on the matter & please do keep me know here if you have any follow-up questions or I have misunderstood your query in any way; I’m positive we’ll get this sorted soon! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

bengibbs75
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Yes, this helps a bit more. So I am not the admin, someone else is. would it be esiest for me to leave the team and use a free version.? How do I leave the team? How do I leave the busniness trial version and install a free version?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for clarifying this additional detail for me @bengibbs75! To re-phrase my first comment Ben, it would be worth noting that you can leave the team if you wish (i.e. you can opt to leave the team in other words)— where you’ll keep unshared content, shared folders you own & folders that were shared explicitly with you & your account will automatically be converted to a Basic account. In the event that you wish to keep any of the content stored in the Team space, you can ask your admin to re-share it with you anew. 

Please let me know if you have any additional inquiries about any of the above & I’ll do my best to check back with you on our discussion here. Wishing you a great week ahead until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

bengibbs75
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Sorry for the late reply. I got super busy with a lot of client stuff and just know getting back to this. I will try all this and follow up. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of this to me. 

Thank you so much,

Ben 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

By all means Ben (@bengibbs75)- it's been a pleasure; let’s leave this discussion open as a point of contact; please take your time to try my suggestions & keep me posted on the outcome whenever you get a chance. Happy Monday!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

bengibbs75
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Thank you so much for keeping this thread open. So I believe that I have fixed the problem. I disbanded from the team and reverted back to a basic account. That solved the issue with the syncing. There is still a little x in the app icon and  it says my "Dropbox is full and I need to upgrade or refer a friend to get more space".  Let me know if there are any other actions I need to take.  

Thank you! 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Great news Ben (@bengibbs75), it seems that we’re on the right path! Now, it seems that syncing has stopped because your account is above its allowance. Don’t worry; your files are still safe with us & syncing will resume when you bring your account under your quota again

Hopefully my tip above helps you get to the bottom of this issue soon; let me know if you have any further questions or thoughts & I’d happily further clarify for you. Happy Monday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    bengibbs75 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?