cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No Edit button on iPad

No Edit button on iPad

KatyT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

i’m unable to open and edit a Microsoft file from the Dropbox app on my iPad.  There is no paper and pen icon that others talk of.

Someone else posted similar but found that it was due to file naming, but mine are named .xlsx which is apparently the accepted form.  Everything is up to date, no idea what else it could be.  It’s frustrsting having to exit Dropbox and open via 3xcel etc every time.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KatyT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Daphne  I know im going to sound like the worlds biggest fruit loop, but i’ve Just noticed an open button which has never been there before.  I had thought all my apps were updated but perhaps they weren’t.  It has just appeared! Anyway, it now works.  I am SO SORRY for having wasted your time.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @KatyT; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with editing Microsoft files through our mobile app on your iPad. 

Can you please let me know if the iPad's OS version and our mobile app's version as well are up to date, meaning that there are no pending updates to be applied? 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

KatyT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply.

The app is up to date but it’s running on iOS 12.4.8 because the iPad is old and won’t go any higher. Having said that, I’ve had this same issue for years, but only just getting round to sorting it now (the benefit of being unemployed is you get to tackle that list!)

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to us here @KatyT!

When you tap on the file in the Dropbox mobile app, do you see a blue "Open" button towards the bottom of the view? If not, please send me a screenshot of what you do see there when you preview the file in Dropbox

Also, do you have the most recent version of the Microsoft apps installed on your device too?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

KatyT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, Yes all apps are updated. No I don’t see an open button. I have tried to attach a screenshot of what I see and there is no open option. Thankyou so much for helping me with this, it’s frustrating! 🙂

27FBF386-C985-4131-80DB-5573CC9EADAC.jpeg

KatyT
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Daphne  I know im going to sound like the worlds biggest fruit loop, but i’ve Just noticed an open button which has never been there before.  I had thought all my apps were updated but perhaps they weren’t.  It has just appeared! Anyway, it now works.  I am SO SORRY for having wasted your time.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that you can see that option @KatyT!

It's no problem at all, I'm more than happy to help out. The "Open" button is a relatively new update in the mobile app, so I hope you'll find this useful.

I'm just a post away if there's anything else at all that I can help out with. 😁

Wishing you a lovely weekend ahead! :rainbow:

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?