cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Two-way syncing on Android?

No Two-way syncing on Android?

New member | Level 2

I have installed termux on android to have a linux cli.

I made a csv file available offline.

I made a system link between that file in the folder where dropbox downloaded it (/shared/Android/data/com.dropbox/files/...) to a folder in the termux home directory.

If I modify that file from my PC it syncs as it should, after I modify the file I go to my cellphone and I see the new changes.

But when a python script on my android device modifies that file, I see it modified in my device, I see it modified in the android dropbox app but it does not change either in my PC nor on the dropbox website.

This makes me think that syncing is only one-way (cloud to android device), is there a simple way to fix this?

2 Replies 2

Re: No Two-way syncing on Android?

Dropboxer

Hey, @SepiSuomi, welcome to our Community! 

I’m afraid that this is out of our support purview. Perhaps other users with a similar setup to yours would be able to help you out. 

Keep in mind that offline files are meant to be accessed through our app directly, not in the way you have described. Normally, when changes are made to an offline file, they will sync to your account once our app has a connection to the internet. 

I’m sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. If I’ve misunderstood the situation, please let me know!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: No Two-way syncing on Android?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Sanchez wrote:
... Normally, when changes are made to an offline file, they will sync to your account once our app has a connection to the internet.

Hello @Sanchez,

That's a great news! 🤩 I shall confess don't have any idea how exactly this could be achieved. I know how some file could be open or save locally. Also I know how a file could be upload. But I can't find anywhere directions how a file could be sync on Android. You are the first, definitely, who know how! No one else on this world can sync something using Dropbox application for Android (including your colleagues). The most close to sync is that what @SepiSuomi have done, according my experience up to now.

Can you share your experience, so me and @SepiSuomi (and not only) can use? I'm sure, many people gonna appreciate. Please, reproduce step by step for some file in your account how you can update its content (using appropriate application on Android) and this change syncs back ( without you upload it anew! ). :slightly smiling face:

Thanks!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?