cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No access to local files after bankrupt

No access to local files after bankrupt

ulrikt
New member | Level 2

I am working as a IT consultant for a small lawfirm, who has recieved a pc containing alot of deleted data. The lawfirm need access to those files. they know that the bankrupt company has intentionally deleted files to cover things up. How do they get acces to those files. or where do the lawfirm or me send the access request?

I have recovered the dropbox files from the PC and we can now see all of the files, but we cannot open them, eventhough we can se the info on those files.(name, type, size, last altered, ect.)

We do not have access to that account and we will not go online with that PC, in the case that the backrupt company already has deleted the online files or altered them somehow.

So where do we/the lawfirm send an access request?

2 Replies 2

Re: No access to local files after bankrupt

Mark
Super User II

A lot is going to depend upon when they were deleted - if they were permanently deleted then they are unrecoverable. If they were deleted over the time period of retention (i.e. 30 days on free account) they are also now unrecoverable. 

The T&C's state to contact dispute-notice@dropbox.com before starting legal so I'd email them first and see what they suggest.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: No access to local files after bankrupt

ulrikt
New member | Level 2

then how can i find the username used on the Pc? The app has been uninstalled. Does it show in the Windows Registry?

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?