cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

No download button when a create a link to share a Dropbox file

Helpful | Level 5

When I create a sharable link to a file that I've uploaded to Dropbox, by selecting a file in my dropbox account, clicking "Share" and selecting "Create Link" and then "Copy Link", the link url it creates takes one to a webpage that does not have a Download button (in the past it used to have one, but it now doesn't). It lets people view the file online but not to download it.

The url that gets created when I create a shared link always ends with:

?dl=0

If I change the url to:

?dl=1

... then it does allow people to download the file - but it then doesn't allow them to view it online!

I want people I send dropbox links to to to have the choice, as they used to  have, of either viewing the file online or downloading it.

The only workaround I've thought of so far is to send everyone two links per file, one that lets them view the file online but not download it, and one that lets them download the file, but not view it online. But this is very clunky.

Is there a better workaround? And does anyone have any idea why the "Download" button was removed? Or is it a recently-introduced bug that the Dropbox developers are working to fix?

Dave

19 Replies 19
Highlighted

Re: No download button when a create a link to share a Dropbox file

Super User II
Super User II

The Download button hasn't been removed and is present on every share link that I test with, across multiple accounts.

Remember that if you're viewing your own links while you're logged in to your account, and the file you're viewing is synced to your computer, the Download button will often be replaced with an Open button since there's no need to download what you already have on your computer.

If this doesn't describe what you're seeing, then take a screenshot please, omitting any personal information.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Definitly a bug.  I have the same issue on Firefox.  Clients are sending me files and there is no longer any download button.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If your clients are either on the Professional or any of our Business plans, they could have set their shared links this way, disabling the downloads that is. 

If that's not the case though, you should try clearing your browser's cache, a private browsing window or even using another browser whatsoever. 

In any case, keep us posted on your progress @Polybonk. Thank you. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same clients I have been working with for years so its not on that end. 

Its on the GUI.  Or rather not on the GUI anymore.

Clearing cache etc does not work.

I should be able to download using firefox and not have to change browser for something that worked up until 2 days ago.

As you can see in the screenshot the download ... section is no longer there.

DBX.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Polybonk  - I get the 'Download' button on shared links (I just tested this on Chrome) so there must be a browser specific issue causing this. 

As clearing the cache won't work for you, I'd suggest to try accessing the same shared links on another browser or a private browsing window without any extensions or plugins running. 

Let me know of any updates. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Whenever I try to attach a screen capture (a 383kjpg file) to  this message, the forum webpage says "an unexpected error has occured" just above the box I'm typing this message into. So I've uploaded a screen capture to Dropbox, here.

There are simply no buttons when I open a link to a shared Dropbox file in Chrome. Above the image of the file I'm sharing there is a white strip across the page. It looks identical whether I'm logged in to Dropbox or not.

In Firefox it does display a "Download" button, and if I'm not signed in, it displays a "sign in" button as well, and both buttons are displayed within the white strip that is completely blank in Chrome. The filename of the shared file is also displayed in Firefox at the left of the same white stip, but it isn't displayed in Chrome.

If you are seeing the buttons in Chrome then your Chrome settings must be different from mine, but the Dropbox software should work regardless of the settings. And someone else has posted in this thread to say that they are getting the same problem in Firefox as I'm getting in Chrome - whereas I'm seeing the problem in Chrome but not in Firefox; and I didn't start getting this problem in Chrome until a few weeks ago.

So there does seem to be a recently introduced bug in the Dropbox software that manifests in both Firefox and Chrome but only becomes apparent in certain browser configurations.

Dave

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I forgot to say that clearing the cache makes no difference, and it made no difference to the other poster either.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I've now discovered that if I turn off the "Ad-Blocker" extension in Chrome, the problem goes away - but hundreds of thousands of people use that extension - and I've been using the extension for many years and I didn't start getting that problem until recently; so the conflict between the Dropbox software and the extension has only recently been created.

Dave

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Ah yes, I've also had issues with usual elements failing to load while using that extension Dave - it usually goes away by disabling it or turning it off for specific pages or domains. You may need to reach out to its developers for further assistance on this.

As mentioned, this should be resolved by using an incognito window without this specific extension running or another browser. 

I'll make a note of this in my internal report so thanks for the feedback on this - I appreciate it. 

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with in the meantime.

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?