cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more space but im using my friend profesional account

No more space but im using my friend profesional account

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

My colleague shared with me a folder. He has 2TB of empty space to be used. In my dropbox account is saying that I don't have any more space left, but I'm exclusively using his shared folder.

Why this could be happening?

thank you

4 Replies 4

Re: No more space but im using my friend profesional account

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @fb2021,

Dropbox whim, unfortunately. 🤷 The shared content is count as an engaged size to every one participant (including folder owner and everyone the folder gets shared with), for every one full size! That's it. You can't do anything, but complain.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.

But this really makes sense?, I mean, Google Drive doesn't has this issue. When I share a folder with google drive it only counts towards my account quota.

How is possible that Dropbox doesn't have an equivalent way of working?, is not competitive...

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@fb2021 wrote:

How is possible that Dropbox doesn't have an equivalent way of working? ...

Good question! They get overdose with free space stacking prevention. Most other providers just keep their rights to disable abusive accounts. Here Dropbox assumes free accounts are abusive. 🤷 Ok, share folder from a free account is risky, but share from paid account? What, the owner of the paid space will abuse with his own property (the paid space)!? Anyway...

Possible workaround is using of shared link to file or folder - your colleague will let you see and download content, and file request - your colleague can let you upload back changed files or new one. If this is convenient for you, your Dropbox account will not more be needed. Another option could be share of subfolder that can fit in your space and containing only needed things, if applicable for you. That's it.

Good luck.

Explorer | Level 3

Understood!, thank you.

Time to migrate to google drive...

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?