cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not enough space to add a shared folder, but there should be enough space

Not enough space to add a shared folder, but there should be enough space

E_G_
Explorer | Level 4

Hi.

I wanted to add a shared folder, but received a message telling me I don't have enough free space to do so.

This surprised me because the folder has a size of 2 GB and I have 2 GB of  free space - there is nothing else in my account that could take up any space.

My colleagues who were invited to add the same folder & have the 2 GB Basic Dropbox Account just like me had no problems.

How can I fix my problem?

15 Replies 15

Mark
Super User II

If its saying you dont have enough space simply put you dont have enough space. 

Does the error say you need 2 gb of space? If so its badly worded. It means you need 2gb more space - i.e. 4gb.

Have a try at www.dropbox.com/gs to see if you can gain any more free space and then add it

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

E_G_
Explorer | Level 4

No, the error simply says "There's not enough space." - it isn't mentioned how much more space I would actually need.

The folder has a size of 2 GB and I have 2 GB of free space, but somehow that's not enough.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @E_G_, sorry to jump in here, but have you tried getting some more space as outlined here to see if that helps?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Mark
Super User II

It cannot be 2gb if you have 2gb. If its even 1byte over the 2gb it will fail and not add. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

E_G_
Explorer | Level 4

Ok, I guess I have to try adding a bit of space.

Thanks for your replies.

Laurenz123
New member | Level 2

My Boss created a business account with 5TB.

He invited me to a folder but I cannot upload anything because my free account only has 2GB free.

What can I do? Can anyone help me here?

Best regards,

Laurenz!

Mark
Super User II

You have a few choices:

1) pay and upgrade your account as YOU also need enough quota to be in a share

2) join the business plan and use up a paid licence within that so that quota is shared with you

3) send the files to him in a read only format via Shared Links, or, upload direct to him via a Requests link

Cptquirk
New member | Level 2

I am sharing a workspace with 11 people, some of them have their own DropBox Accounts. The Workspace is on my account with lots of room, but several get a "No Space" error when they try to access my workspace. How can I help them to separate their DropBox Accounts from mine so they can access the shared workspace? I don't want them to have to delete their personal files.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Cptquirk 

Sadly you cannot do that - shared folders use up the space of everybody within the share. So if the folder is, for example, 3gb in size they need at least 3gb of free space within their account to access it. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MPX New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?