cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not finding a folder on my pc (Desktop Dropbox)

Highlighted

Not finding a folder on my pc (Desktop Dropbox)

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I am having problems in finding a folder using the desktop Dropbox version on my pc.

In order to explain it better, I created a folder (with some files in it) using the desktop Dropbox version on a MacBook. I can see this folder both from the MacBook and on Dropbox website. So far, so good. Unfortunately, however, when I look for it from my pc (Windows) - Dropbox desktop version - I cannot see it.

It is quite strange since I can see many other folders and files created in the same way and time, but not that one.

It looks like there is a problem in synchronizing the files. I tried to solve it by refreshing the folders, restarting the computer, and I even tried to duplicate the folder from the MacBook (it immediately appears on the Windows pc too) - with the name "Copy" - delete the original folder and rename the new one with the original name. And it disappears on the Windows pc only... 

What the hell is the problem...?

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Not finding a folder on my pc (Desktop Dropbox)

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @fedeZ7,

Take in mind that Windows have lots of restrictions how particular file/folder could be named. Much more than the restrictions on Mac! In such a way you may have used symbols in the name acceptable on Mac, but not on Windows. Are you sure the problem isn't Windows related instead, not a sync issue? 🤔

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @fedeZ7,

Take in mind that Windows have lots of restrictions how particular file/folder could be named. Much more than the restrictions on Mac! In such a way you may have used symbols in the name acceptable on Mac, but not on Windows. Are you sure the problem isn't Windows related instead, not a sync issue? 🤔

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you very much @Здравко

I have no idea of why, but the folder name had three points in it (it was called "S.Lj.Co.") and just by deleting those three I had the chance to see it from my Windows pc. Amazing! I am very thankful.

I will pay more attention when naming my files and folders from now on...!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?