cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Not synching with Libre Office Base

Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox has stopped uploadng changes to my Libre Office Base databse in the Dropbos folder on my hard drive.  I have the same uploading issue on my laptop and my desktop PC (both running Windows 10).

I have unistalled and reinstalled LO and the Dropbox app.  I have run compatiblity checks and made fixes for LO,  I have quit Dropbox and restarted it.  I have rebooted my computer.  I have changed the bandwith for Dropbox to unlimited for downloads and uploads.  

What else can I do?

Mel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Not synching with Libre Office Base

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Mel; thanks for sticking with us on this one and happy Friday!

You're most likely correct to think that the issue lies within the file itself, or better yet, within the file's type and it being a database. 

In general, we recommend that people do not sync live databases with Dropbox.

Most databases have remote access methods anyway, so you don't need to sync the live database. You can sync saved snapshots, however, with no issues.

Have a lovely weekend and see you around the Community! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @thatchermp; welcome to our Community!

Can you let me know what exactly happens when you try to upload (or sync changes to) those files, or, if you're getting an error, send me a screenshot so I can have a look?

While at it, what is the desktop app reporting within your system tray? Is it showing 'Up to date' or syncing? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Thanks for responding quickly.

I do not get an error message when uploading/synching.  The Dropbox app shows uploading (blue). 

Here is the view from the dropbox folder on my hard drive.

Dropbox synch.PNG

I will appreciate any help you can give.

Mel

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @thatchermp!

Just to clarify, when you make changes to the file do you then close the app used to edit the file? Most likely you'll need to close the app before the file can be synced.

Daphne

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I close the form then the database (Libre Office Base).

Mel

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Daphne,

I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem is with the database file itself. I've unshared and disconnected it from Dropbox and the problem persists.

Mel
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Mel; thanks for sticking with us on this one and happy Friday!

You're most likely correct to think that the issue lies within the file itself, or better yet, within the file's type and it being a database. 

In general, we recommend that people do not sync live databases with Dropbox.

Most databases have remote access methods anyway, so you don't need to sync the live database. You can sync saved snapshots, however, with no issues.

Have a lovely weekend and see you around the Community! 

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Walter, for the very helpful advice.

We have collaborated via Drobox to populate our 217 megabyte photo database.  Next we will just be inputting text.  

As of now, everything is working fine so I am going to leave it in Dropbox.  But I will look for another vehicle for database collaboration per your advice.

Regards,

Mel

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?