Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Not syncing at all

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Dropbox v87.4.138

Dropbox not syncing at all - symbol in systems tray says it's syncing. No syncing icons on folders or files. "Latest changes" (or equivalent, my Dopbox speaks Swedish) shows: (none).

Have tried:

Shutting down and restarting

Emptying cage folder: .dropbox.cage

Uninstalling/Reinstalling

Searching the forums

Googling (frase suggestions are welcome)

Also, there are no symlinks, no folders beyond the limits, no weird filenames (which should only affect just the one file, right?).

Oh, and I have access to the internet

20 Replies 20
Highlighted

Re: Not syncing at all

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Take a look on the suggestion here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-88-4-172/m-p/390479#M5662 If need, change the Dropbox folder according your place. So you can figure out possibly troublesome file(s). About latest changes, this is known 64-bit application BUG, but Dropbox don't care. 😢

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thank you!

Ran script at the location you suggested. After a while bash returns "/usr/bin/dropbox: List of arguments too long".

Highlighted

Oh.. Yes. When file number is too high command line limit could be met. Try apply same for the subfolders. About missing sync icons: what file browser are you using? Dropbox support only Nautilus, directly! Other browsers can be used with sync icons, but only with corresponding compatibility plug-in, for corresponding browser.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Understandable. I have more than 27 000 files. But it doesn't work when I target a folder containing 200 files either. "List of arguments too long".

I do use Nautilus, though. And the icons were there when Dropbox worked.

Highlighted

@Wim4rk wrote:
... No syncing icons on folders or files. ...

And next:

@Wim4rk wrote:
... And the icons were there when Dropbox worked.

Of course, when Dropbox is turned off what kind of status you expect?

You can check status in Nautilus (again - when Dropbox is working!) or alternative command, without any limitation in files count:

(IFS=$'\n';base_path="";for i in `ls -R1 ~/Dropbox`; do if [[ "$i" =~ ":" ]]; then base_path=`echo "$i" | sed "y/:/\//"`; elif [[ "m$i" != "m" ]]; then dropbox filestatus $base_path$i; fi; done) | grep -vi "up to date"

Now "dropbox" gets executed for every one file and every time receives just one argument, so impossible to met too long command line. Drawback here is, as noted, "dropbox" is executed many times, no just one process, so everything becomes significantly slower (dropbox command is a script). Again - Dropbox has to run! Otherwise the only status you receive in terminal will be "unwatched".

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm getting the same on windows - perpetually syncing, all files and folders showing the "in sync" icon and the latest list in the tray app misisng most recent files - feels like a server side issue....

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

So I shouldn't run that?

And hey, how did you know Dropbox wasn't running? I thought it was. "dropbox status" shows "Dropbox isn't runinng!"

And "dropbox start" returns "Dropbox isn't running!  \n Dropbox is already running!"

That last one is very strange.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

And another symptom: if I press "Open Dropbox webpage" on the system tray icon, it driects to:

file:///tmp/dbxl9q51t7lv.html#0aca5cf8ea... etcetera.

What does that mean?

Highlighted

If "dropbox status" isn't working as you expect, try following:

ps --pid `cat ~/.dropbox/dropbox.pid`

If Dropbox runs, a line representing corresponding process will follows the header. Otherwise, only the header will be printed in terminal.

Generally, if you can see Dropbox' icon on system tray, that means the application works.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?