cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Notification "Show in Finder" is gone

Notification "Show in Finder" is gone

aakhmetz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello – could you please get back the "Show in Finder" option for notifications? I am not interested having another layer of software "Dropbox app" and I want to edit files directly on my laptop to sync them with others. I already pay for the service and I don't understand why some features disappear.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Messagedj2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for the screenshot! Could you please try the following steps?

:keycap_1: Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

:keycap_2: Click your photo or initials.

:keycap_3: Click 'Preferences…'

:keycap_4: Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: and choose 'Dropbox desktop app'.

:keycap_5: Quit the Dropbox app.

:keycap_6: Reboot your device.

:keycap_7: Relaunch the app, and change the settings to 'Open folders in: Finder'

This helped in my case !

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @aakhmetz, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

As a first step, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you click on the Open folders in option from your General tab in your desktop app's Preferences?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

aakhmetz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Screenshot 2020-05-22 15.35.22.png

Hello – thank you for your response. As in the screenshot above, I can see only "Show in Dropbox" (before it was "Show in Finder"). If I take a screenshot, I am interested to check it by Finder, not by your app

aakhmetz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Screenshot 2020-05-22 15.38.41.png

This is a screenshot of the preferences ("Finder" is indicated, but does not work for notifications)

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshots, @aakhmetz!

Out of curiosity, could you let me know if the desktop app or your Finder opens when you follow the steps below? 

• Click on the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock. 
  • Select the folder icon that appears on the top of the menu. 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

messagedj
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

i have exactly the same issue. If i click the folder icon like you ask, the finder is normally opening.

the issue is that dropbox changed the screenshot notification from "Open in Finder" to "Open in Dropbox" We want the "open in finder" notification back.

kristicarmen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here. It really annoying to have something that works great change. It was a feature I really liked and used a lot. What is the fix, if any?

Messagedj2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for the screenshot! Could you please try the following steps?

:keycap_1: Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

:keycap_2: Click your photo or initials.

:keycap_3: Click 'Preferences…'

:keycap_4: Click the dropdown next to Open folders in: and choose 'Dropbox desktop app'.

:keycap_5: Quit the Dropbox app.

:keycap_6: Reboot your device.

:keycap_7: Relaunch the app, and change the settings to 'Open folders in: Finder'

This helped in my case !

KristinJoys
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you! This has been an issue for me for months. Your instructions (@Messagedj2) worked perfectly. Yay! 🙂  

spsachos
Explorer | Level 4

This is an old post but still gonna try. I don't have an option for step 4 in your instructions (Open folders in). What do I do?

Need more support?