cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications won't show anymore for updates in a shared folder on my Windows devices.

Notifications won't show anymore for updates in a shared folder on my Windows devices.

Explorer | Level 3

I've been using Dropbox for years now, mostly to work on files together with a friend. It is vital for us to know when the other has made an update to one of the files, but lately, wen won't get any notifications when files have been updated. I'm running dropbox version 107.4.443 on windows 10 1909

The files are synching properly, what's missing are the notifications. lately they had been lagging. I would get notifications when I opened and updated files that had been updated hours before by my friend. I tried un- and re-installing the dropbox app, but now I won't get any notifications at all. I checked the Preferences >Notifications menu inside the dropbox app and made sure  edits, new files, etc are all checked for notifications, but still nothing.  I made sure the Windows 10 Focus Assistant is off. I'm having the same issue on my PC and laptop. I'm running out of ideas. The only workaround we have right now is checking our files for updates or keeping the folder open to check the modification times....    If I have to text my friend every time I updated something, then I need to find a new software solution, even though I've been a happy dropbox user for many years now. 

7 Replies 7

Re: Notofications won't show anymore

Dropboxer

Hi there @a_moral, I hope you're doing well today!

Can you let me know if you've checked the Windows notification settings, to see if the Dropbox notifications have been allowed from there?

If you're not familiar with this, you can check out the steps to navigate there from here.

Keep me posted with what you find there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

yes, I made sure Dropbox Banners & Sound are on as well as the "Get notifications from  apps and other senders" option.

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that @a_moral!

Do you possibly have any pending OS updates for your device? 

From the version you mentioned running, you should have a few system updates that might help with this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

updated both the PC and the laptop to the latest windows 10 pro 2004, problem remains the same :disappointed face:

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping us in the loop @a_moral; much appreciated.

Could you try disabling all the notifications from the app's preferences, quit the app and then re-launch it and toggle them to on again?

If this doesn't do the trick, you can also try a clean, advanced re-install

Let us know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

tried both, no change :disappointed face:

Dropboxer

Hi @a_moral, could you attach a screenshot showing your Windows Notification settings for Dropbox, and the Focus assist settings

Also, could you let me know if your Dropbox folder is stored on an external or network drive??

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?