Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Number Lock suddenly stopped working in Excel?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the Dropbox desktop app installed on my computer (running Windows 10 Pro version 1703). I have previously had no problems editing files in Microsoft Office 2013 applications (the ordinary desktop ones, not the Office 365 or Dropbox verisons). I could create, save, open, edit, and re-save files to my Dropbox folder and the only difference in the experience was that I could then access the file from home or on my mobile. 

Suddenly, however, I find that number lock does not work with any Excel file that I have saved to Dropbox. It works fine in every other spreadsheet, and in other apps. (For instance, I have typed all of the numbers in this post using the 10-key number pad with number lock on.) I tried creating a new spreadsheet, then copying the data from the old one into it, and the number pad worked as usual again... until I saved the new spreadsheet into my Dropbox folder, wherupon it immediately returned to behaving as though number lock was turned off!

I found one other thread here that mentioned the same problem, but the Dropbox staff who responded to it offered no solution, and eventually closed the thread. Can someone recommend a solution, please? (I believe my Dropbox app version is 42.4.114, although the way I found that bears no resemblence to any of the instructions I found online for finding one's version number! Those didn't work, but I found it by bringing up "Apps & Features" in the Windows 10 home menu, and then right-clicking on Dropbox.)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Number Lock suddenly stopped working in Excel?

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox typically has no such control over applications, but in the case of Office, they do have the Dropbox Badge integrated. Perhaps it's causing a problem. I'd suggest disabling it as a test and see if the problem continues. If it does continue, it's highly unlikely that Dropbox is the cause as at that point, Dropbox is nothing more than a folder on your computer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox typically has no such control over applications, but in the case of Office, they do have the Dropbox Badge integrated. Perhaps it's causing a problem. I'd suggest disabling it as a test and see if the problem continues. If it does continue, it's highly unlikely that Dropbox is the cause as at that point, Dropbox is nothing more than a folder on your computer.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

That would be my first thing to check also, disable the badge icon and see if the issue persists.

If it does, try quitting the Dropbox app completely, just to make sure the app isn’t the main cause.

Let us know the results!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?