cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCR without mobile app

OCR without mobile app

Sincostan
Explorer | Level 3

I have a family account and want to use OCR to create searchable PDF files. I want to use the following workflow:

1. Use Brother ADS 2800w to scan paper (German language) and send PDF file to a folder inside of my Dropbox (notice that I do not select "searchable PDF" but only "PDF" in the document scanner, since otherwise this would then firstly go to the Brother Cloud to use their OCR analysis)

2. Wait for Dropbox to autmatically (or can I trigger OCR?) apply the OCR analysis to my files, so that I can search for strings in those files let's say one day later.

Is this possible?

If yes, when will Dropbox analysis my files?

Or is the Dropbox OCR feature limited to the mobile app?

Best regards

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II

It should happen quite quickly @Sincostan 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/sort-preview/search-content 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sincostan
Explorer | Level 3

@Mark, thank you for your reply. The documents are still not searchable. Do you use a comparable setup or do you use the mobile app?

Sincostan
Explorer | Level 3

Can someone from the Dropbox team look into this please?

kls144
Explorer | Level 3
Hi - also interested in an answer here. And if this varies between Plus and Professional accounts. Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kls144 - thanks for joining the discussion here.

Could you clarify what exactly you'd like to accomplish?

Optical character recognition should work instantly on files you've scanned to Dropbox, both on the mobile app and the website. 

Also, may I ask if you're still having issues with this @Sincostan

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kls144
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter - thanks for your response. I would like to search over a large set of pre-existing handwritten/printed then scanned PDFs that were not scanned in via Dropbox's mobile document scanner. Is there a subscription plan that includes the functionality to search over PDFs generated outside of the Dropbox mobile app? 

I'm left unclear on what full text search encompasses as it relates to PDFs based on this list: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/sort-preview/search-content

The tech team did a great job of laying out the various PDF formats and how they can differ for searchability:  https://dropbox.tech/machine-learning/using-machine-learning-to-index-text-from-billions-of-images I'm left with the impression they addressed this in 2018. My use case is focused on what they call "Page has text, but only in the form of an image"

I'm currently a Plus prescriber. Thank you

kls144
Explorer | Level 3

Bumping for @Walter - thank you for the help!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @kls144, thanks for the nudge on this!

I believe only scans generated by the built-in scanner can be searched using OCR at the moment while handwritten documents are also not detected at this time.

I'm double-checking this with the team as well and I'll let you know more when I hear back from them.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kls144
Explorer | Level 3

HI @Walter - did the engineering team ever confirm one way or another? Thank you

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RustyCowan New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    kls144 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?