cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Upgrade (Windows 7 to 10) and Dropbox App

OS Upgrade (Windows 7 to 10) and Dropbox App

Explorer | Level 4

My office is planning to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I am running the Dropbox app and have a direct (?) folder on my office computer. Most all of my files have been saved there.

When the upgrade takes place, everything except the upgraded OS and (re-)installed software will remain. A clean slate.
I am concerned that the deletion of this link will also delete those files from my Dropbox account. Will this affect my Dropbox files in any way? And, if so, what can I do about it?

I had believed that the Dropbox was only a link, but now am concerned that these files are resident on my office HD and may be in danger of deletion.

Regards,
Mike H

3 Replies 3

Re: OS Upgrade (Windows 7 to 10) and Dropbox App

Dropboxer

Hi there @Frodis, I hope you're doing well today!

To avoid any issues or unexpected behaviour with the desktop app during the upgrade, I would suggest unlinking the app from your account. The Dropbox folder will remain on your computer, unlinking will simply break the syncing connection between the folder and your account online. 

Once the upgrade is finished, you can sign back into the desktop app and have it relink to the Dropbox folder.

If, by any chance, the app can't detect the existing Dropbox folder or creates a new one, then you can follow the steps below to avoid to re-syncing all your files:

1. Pause the syncing of the desktop app.
  2. Move the content of the Dropbox (old) folder into the new Dropbox folder.
  3. Resume sync.

The app will simply index the files and cross check them with your account online.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. So, even though the files appear to have been saved to my local C: drive, they will still be available to me through Dropbox.com? Will I need to download files if/when used in the future?

To be honest, I haven't given the issues of file management much of a thought since I began using Dropbox. I refer to everything as being stored 'in the cloud' but hadn't given any thought as to where the original files might be located such as on my office computer C: drive until now when the drive is about to be wiped.

The old Dropbox folder on the office computer will be deleted (or so I believe) during the upgrade process. It won't be there to be re-linked to. Is this problematic? The files I am concerned about are all originally resident on the office C: drive and then uploaded to (?) / linked to (?) in the Dropbox app. I'm assuming that what you are telling me will mean that the files will be deleted from the drive but will remain with Dropbox.

Regards,

Mike H

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Frodis!

That's right, the desktop app is designed to keep your local Dropbox folder in sync with the copy of your files online and any other connected devices. When you unlink the desktop app, it will break the sync connected to that computer, but your files will remain in your account online.

If you need to work on your files online in the meantime, you can use some of our integrations (eg. Microsoft Online) to view or edit your files. You can do this by clicking the "Open" button to the right of the file name.

Finally, when you reinstall the app on your computer, it will recognize there's no Dropbox folder locally on your computer and create a new one to sync the content back down to your computer.

Let me know if that clears up your questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?