cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Computer , New Syncing Issues

Old Computer , New Syncing Issues

gtlittle
New member | Level 2

Hello.  I have an old desktop PC that was using Dropbox and syncing.  I had to store that computer for a long period of time and I migrated to using a laptop exclusively with the same Dropbox account. During that storage time, I had moved numerous files and folders and reorganized my Dropbox accounts. Now that I am ready to use the old desktop PC again, I now have a major syncing problem as the files from the old desktop PC are trying to sync.  Can I simply log the desktop PC out of Dropbox, delete all the files on the PC, and then log in and sync as it is a new linked device? If not, what are my options to get both desktop pc and laptop synced with the most up-to-date files?

BTW, the chatbot in support doesn't work and there is nowhere (that I can find) to email Dropbox support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Old Computer , New Syncing Issues

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @gtlittle, thanks for reaching out and happy Monday!

What you described is exactly what you need to do. 

You'll need to sign out of the Dropbox application on your old desktop. This will disconnect the computer from your account.

Then, you'll need to delete the Dropbox folder with the old files and sign back in. This will sync the versions of your files as they appear in your Dropbox account online.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Old Computer , New Syncing Issues

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @gtlittle, thanks for reaching out and happy Monday!

What you described is exactly what you need to do. 

You'll need to sign out of the Dropbox application on your old desktop. This will disconnect the computer from your account.

Then, you'll need to delete the Dropbox folder with the old files and sign back in. This will sync the versions of your files as they appear in your Dropbox account online.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?