cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Computer , New Syncing Issues

Old Computer , New Syncing Issues

gtlittle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello.  I have an old desktop PC that was using Dropbox and syncing.  I had to store that computer for a long period of time and I migrated to using a laptop exclusively with the same Dropbox account. During that storage time, I had moved numerous files and folders and reorganized my Dropbox accounts. Now that I am ready to use the old desktop PC again, I now have a major syncing problem as the files from the old desktop PC are trying to sync.  Can I simply log the desktop PC out of Dropbox, delete all the files on the PC, and then log in and sync as it is a new linked device? If not, what are my options to get both desktop pc and laptop synced with the most up-to-date files?

BTW, the chatbot in support doesn't work and there is nowhere (that I can find) to email Dropbox support.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @gtlittle, thanks for reaching out and happy Monday!

What you described is exactly what you need to do. 

You'll need to sign out of the Dropbox application on your old desktop. This will disconnect the computer from your account.

Then, you'll need to delete the Dropbox folder with the old files and sign back in. This will sync the versions of your files as they appear in your Dropbox account online.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @gtlittle, thanks for reaching out and happy Monday!

What you described is exactly what you need to do. 

You'll need to sign out of the Dropbox application on your old desktop. This will disconnect the computer from your account.

Then, you'll need to delete the Dropbox folder with the old files and sign back in. This will sync the versions of your files as they appear in your Dropbox account online.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

DHM42
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have that exact same issue, but the proposed solution didn't work.  I logged out of my dropbox account, deleted all of the folders and files, emptied the recycle bin, and uninstalled dropbox.  Then I restarted the computer (a PC), installed dropbox, and logged into my account.  I am still missing entire folders that appear in my online account.  

Based on what I'm seeing, It appears to be syncing to the set of folders and files that were already on this machine, although I thought that I had removed everything before reinstalling and syncing.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DHM42, just for clarification, what exactly was the Dropbox desktop application syncing? 

Did you somehow still have a copy of the Dropbox folder on your machine prior to the installation? Was it syncing files from the Dropbox site down onto your machine?

Could you provide an example of a file or folder that isn't syncing from the site?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DHM42
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I don't think that I had a copy of the files stored locally.  I had deleted everything after signing out of my dropbox account, but maybe there was another copy stored somewhere that I am unaware of.  Some background:

The folder in question is shared with colleagues at work.  I use a Mac at work that is synced with my dropbox account.  About a month ago, I changed/moved/added several folders within that shared folder.  Then school ended for the summer and I didn't access dropbox for about a month.  Yesterday I opened that folder from my home PC and saw that I am missing several of the folders that I added (sadly with a lot of important files).  I can see all of the changes reflected in my online account, but it is not syncing with my home PC.

I tried creating a new sub-folder (in the shared folder) on my home PC.  It immediately appeared in my online account.  So it appears that the sync is working in one direction.  I just can't seem to get my locally stored files on my PC match what is in my online account.

DHM42
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Problem Solved!  AS it turns out, my computer was syncing properly, but the new folders were not being included because of the naming convention.  I named the folders with a word followed by an asterix to differentiate them from the old folders of the same name.  My online accoung and my Mac were happy enough with the asterix in the name, but the PC wasn't having it.  When I changed the folder names they appeared immediately on my PC.

Thanks for the help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Amazing news there, @DHM42!

If you need us, you know where to find us. 

Have a lovely weekend ahead,enjoy! 💜

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    DHM42 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?