cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old version of Excel file

Old version of Excel file

Viktor03
Explorer | Level 4

Hello - I have an Excel-file that I update at least once  a week. Only myself has access. I work on it usually on the computer, sometimes on tablet or smartphone. No problems until today. Suddenly the file shows the status of December 17 and NO history. The same on smartphone, tablet, computer and dropbox Internet. Totally lost as to the reason. I updated last 1 or 2 days ago. But now I have an old version and as mentioned no history.

How come? Any help appreciated. I may add, that backup the data weekly from the computer files. But since quite a few months already.

Thanks for help.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Old version of Excel file

Jay
Dropboxer
I understand, @Viktor03, feel free to update me when you have any new info on this matter!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Viktor03, let's see what we can find. 

How did you last update the MS Excel doc in question?

Was it through the website, the desktop app, or the mobile app?

Let me know and we'll take it from there, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Viktor03
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Lusil - thanks. If I remember right, it was with the tablet about 2 nights before. Tablet is a Galaxy Tab S2 with Android 7.0. And the update of the file would have been with Excel for Android. 

Greetings - Viktor

Viktor03
Explorer | Level 4

I started again to use the file - should I leave it alone for the moment?

Viktor03
Explorer | Level 4

You can delete my last comment. I saved it under a new name. The problem file still has the date of December 17, 2020.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Viktor03, just for clarification, are you still experiencing this issue, or have you resolved it by saving it under a new name?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Viktor03
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jay - please give me a bit more time to test that under different circumstances. Currently, Office Android and Dropbox seem to have some problems. Since about 4 weeks I have the problem that Word-Android opens an old file when I try to open an updated Word-file on Dropbox. For quite a while I create a new Word-file on the PC, save it under an existing name, and then open in the tablet. Dropbox shows the correct version in the preview. When I click the edit button, Word Android opens and shows the old file. I de-activated now the auto-save button, but did not change. Have to test a bit more. But it is a Word-Problem and a different issue.

For the Excel file, what I do not understand is, how the history for the file could disappear in Dropbox? The file is there for maybe 3 years, always updated. And the history is gone without any traces. Even if the file was overwritten by Excel-Android with an older version, the history should be there. How can a history disappear?

Anyway, I will do some more testing on Excel in the next week and report back. Many thanks for support.

Viktor

Jay
Dropboxer
I understand, @Viktor03, feel free to update me when you have any new info on this matter!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Viktor03
Explorer | Level 4

Hello - I tried to re-create the problem. Moved the file between PC, Dropbox and tablet. But no issues. Tablet Excel always opened the newest file and also saved without problem back on Dropbox. We just dropp the issue for the moment. Had not happened the years before and hopefully not now after. I guess a few problems hit at the same time. Still don't understand how any history could be missing on Dropbox, neither did an older version of the file appear under deleted.

Will not find an answer. Many thanks for your help. - Viktor

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?