cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online PDF's won't open on File Explorer

Online PDF's won't open on File Explorer

BSkillings
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

My users are currently experiencing an issue where they're unable to open online-only PDF files from Windows file explorer.

They double click on the files and a message comes up saying that the file is corrupted. When they then go on to the web application and try to open the file, no problems at all. Similarly, when they  save/sync the file locally to their PC, they can open the file.

I've had a look at the permissions and it seems as though the individual local users don't have modify permissions, but have read/write permissions, so should still be able to open the files, but if you add the modify permission to the folder/file, they can then open the PDF no problems.

Please help!

5 Replies 5

Re: Online PDF's won't open on File Explorer

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @BSkillings, let's see what we can do here. 

Could you ask these users if they are able to right-click on the files and Smart Sync them as local?

If they get any error message along the way, a screenshot of it would be super helpful. 

Give me a shout whenever you have any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BSkillings
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Lucil,

Yes they are able to sync the files locally by right clicking them. As mentioned in the original message I posted, this error only occurs with online only files.

Thanks,

Ben

Lusil
Dropboxer
Could you confirm if the desktop app has completed syncing and is up to date for all of them?

Also, are they trying to open the files directly from the desktop app or their Finder/File Explorer?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BSkillings1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lucil,

Yes I can confirm that the sync is up to date for all of them. 

They're trying to open files from the File Explorer. After further investigation, they get an error message pop up that says 'access is denied'. Is it possible that the old NTFS permissions that were applied to the files has somehow transferred over when the files were uploaded to Dropbox?

Daphne
Dropboxer
It could be possible that some incorrect file permissions may be affecting this @BSkillings1.

Can you try these steps and see if that helps at all?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?