cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online-files not available

Online-files not available

New member | Level 2

When files in Dropbox are in Online-only mode they are not possible to open.

When I make them Local, they are working as normal.
Any idea what's the trouble here?

Example:

I try to open an Adobe InDesign file (online-only mode). Adobe feedback is:

This file is already opened by another user or program. The file may be stored on a network server so that it cannot be used until the other user closes it.

Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 10.01.51.pngScreenshot 2020-12-08 at 10.03.35.pngScreenshot 2020-12-08 at 10.04.10.png

When I try to open en Microsoft Excel file:

1. It asks me to grant access

2. It can't open it because the file format or the file extension is not valid.

3. But as soon as I make the file LOCAL it works as normal...

Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 10.11.16.pngScreenshot 2020-12-08 at 10.11.33.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Online-files not available

New member | Level 2

Phone support was really fast and made me understand that I need to set files to LOCAL to be able to use them.

Online only isn't a full file, it is just the file name and some information about it. This is my misunderstanding, as I thought it was the full file (in the sky) and useable at a click on it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

New member | Level 2

Phone support was really fast and made me understand that I need to set files to LOCAL to be able to use them.

Online only isn't a full file, it is just the file name and some information about it. This is my misunderstanding, as I thought it was the full file (in the sky) and useable at a click on it.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Hi. I don't think you have misunderstood.

The files that were online only were accessable when you "double click" it. It use to download the file (by turning it local) and then open up automatically.

I am suffering the same issue that when I click on a file that is online only it no longer downloads the file and I therefore have to right click and download locally before opening. This is causing me a lot of fustration and must be an error with dropbox

Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this @AcanthusCastStone!

I'd be happy to look into this further with you, I'd just like to ask for a bit more info here:

• What version of the app do you have installed?
  • Does this occur for all file types?
  • Once you try double clicking a file and receive the error in the app used to open it, does the file still show the "online only" sync icon?

If you're having the same issue where the files are not opening when they are online only and double clicking them doesn't sync them locally @tomofnorway, please let me know the ticket number you had with the Support team (eg. #1234567) so I can check on this from my side.

Keep me posted peeps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Hi @Daphne

Thank you for your response.

The version is 111.4.472

Yes this occurs for all files types. Also throws up a similar error when you open the file through the specific program its designed for.

When i double click it still keeps the file as online only. It wont download it to be local until i right click and choose it to be local.

Just to clarify it won't download on double click either using finder or through the specifie app, ie, through excel for an excel file.

Thanks

New member | Level 2

When i double click on excel file, it opens excel, asks to grant access and then throws up the error. See images.Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 16.30.02.pngScreenshot 2020-12-10 at 16.30.18.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @AcanthusCastStone!

If you haven't done so in a while, please reboot your device to refresh the app to see if that helps at all.

Otherwise, please download and run the installer for the app from here, to repair any issues with the current installation.

You won't need to uninstall before doing this, just download and run the installer and the app will take care of the rest.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

We have the exact same problems with the same version of Dropbox.

Makes using Dropbox a pain!

Dropbox version on MacOS Big Sure 11.0.1Dropbox version on MacOS Big Sure 11.0.1

New member | Level 2

A restart of my Mac solved this problem now!Before double click on the PDF.Before double click on the PDF.After double click on the PDF and it opened as normal.After double click on the PDF and it opened as normal.

New member | Level 2

Now also working with Excel-filesBefore double click on the fileBefore double click on the fileAfter double click on the Excel-fileAfter double click on the Excel-file

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?